[Vision2020] Intelligently Designed Influenza

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Apr 8 11:15:39 PDT 2014

Courtesy of the November 13, 2005 edition of the Lewiston Tribune.

------------------------------------

The First Amendment grants no right to teach hokum

One of my high school math teachers was a pretty dull fellow except for the mornings when he played stand-up comedian. On those days, he spent the entire period telling jokes, flush-faced and slightly slurring his words.

We students thought he was goofing off, with the help of a little lubricant. The Discovery Institute probably thinks he was exercising his right to free speech.

That is how the institute, the Seattle organization that promotes the teaching of so-called intelligent design, responded to University of Idaho President Tim White's recent directive that UI science instructors should stick to teaching science in their classes. It said White was repressing free speech.
White's campuswide letter itself looked like a response, to news that UI biologist Scott Minnich would testify in the Pennsylvania trial of a lawsuit aimed at keeping intelligent design out of public school science classes. Minnich, who apparently takes his science with a double shot of Bible stories on the side, testified for the defense the other day.
I suspect most UI faculty members looked on White's instruction as anything but an assault on their free speech. To many, it was more an inoculation against the embarrassment Minnich's publicized testimony might have caused the school.
. . .

http://www.MoscowCares.com

- John Lennon