[Vision2020] A Question that should be asked of all candidates . . .

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 30 23:14:26 PDT 2013

While I do see the merit in a council member being just an ordinary citizen with a job in the community, there can be problems with this because there is always a conflict of interest. My grandfather would refuse requests to run for Mayor, or even city council because he owned Tri-State. If a council member owns a business do they act in the interests of their business, or the city's? If a council member works for another person, can their employer order or manipulate them to legislate in a way that favors their employer, or lose their financial stability?

An independent person with a commitment to the community would seem, in my opinion, the best way to go. There are exceptions, and one councilmember often isn't powerful enough to corrupt things that much. However, there are conflicts of interest. Some politicians even try to use their power to make themselves wealthier in the private sector.

Donovan J. Arnold