[Vision2020] ketogenic diets

Art Deco art.deco.studios at gmail.com
Tue Sep 3 14:37:52 PDT 2013

The government originally got only some information wrong, mainly lumping
all fats together as unhealthy (they still are if consumed in copious
quantities).  But further research (that's the science works) has shown
that certain fats in certain quantities are beneficial.  Research has also
confirmed that certain fats are harmful even in small quantities especially
to those who do not get sufficient exercise.

The vast body of nutritional research as is stands today is basically
accurate, and where it is not completely accurate, further research will
correct it.  To say that nutritional research is the cause of today's
obesity epidemic is more than common garden asininity.  Fast/Junk food,
processed food high in fats, low in fiber and other nutrients touted 24/7
by cleverly designed ads and including special ingredients to foster
addiction* are basically the principle causes.

*
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/24/magazine/the-extraordinary-science-of-junk-food.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

While eating a modified "Atkins" diet leaving out the harmful fats such as
beef fats and getting sufficient exercise can help with the loss of weight,
it has some limitations such as the loss of stamina and endurance for
longer lasting heavy exertion because most people cannot metabolize fat
fast enough to supply the basic cellular energy conversion system (Kreb's
Citric Cycle) to keep up with the energy required.

That is even more true of long lasting heavy mental exercise because the
brain basically derives all its operating energy from glucose and its near
relatives.  Heavy mental exercise uses as much energy as physical exercise.

If you lead a less than vigorous life, then the "Atkins" diet minus harmful
fats will most likely be helpful for weight control.  However, the loss of
pleasure from eating carbohydrates is a large cost for some people,
especially those can who maintain their weight while eating lots of
carbohydrates.

"Atkins" is in quotes because he was not the first to discover the basis of
his diet, but he was the first to make a commercial success of it although
he chose to ignore the then existing and still valid research on the harm
of certain fats.  That's why he died a bloated pig.

w.

--
Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
art.deco.studios at gmail.com