[Vision2020] ketogenic diets

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 2 20:43:19 PDT 2013

I wanted to reply to this sooner, but I was on vacation.

Read Gary Taubes book "Good Calories, Bad Calories".  Or search for
"gary taubes why we get fat" on YouTube.

It would appear that the "high fat causes heart attacks" hypothesis
isn't as strong as it was once thought to be.  Research comparing high
fat / low carb unlimited food intake diets vs. the traditional high
carb, low fat, restricted calorie diet consistently shows the high fat
low carb diets allow the subjects to lose more weight and it makes their
cholesterol numbers better.

Here is an article from the New York Times talking about the subject:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/09/science/09tier.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

I chuckle reading this, because there are hallmarks of the climate
science debate here, too.  Politics gets involved and suddenly it hurts
your reputation to be skeptical of the consensus view. Everyone studies
the consensus topics, but nobody researches topics that by their very
nature conflict with the consensus view.  That doesn't make either one
of the looked-down-upon topics any more true, but I do find it amusing
to see human nature at work.

That's not to say that high fat low carb diets are perfect.  I have seen
research that shows that if you have a pre-existing heart condition,
then the ketogenic diet might make it harder to recover in the event of
a heart attack.  I've also seen research that suggests that pregnant
women who are obese and on that kind of diet can affect their babies by
making them fatter and have smaller livers.  I look at those risks and
compare them to the risks of being obese, and I side with the diet that
will help me lose that weight the best and that makes my cholesterol
numbers better to boot.  I mean, look around.  How many really old fat
people do you see?  But I admit that it's a complicated area of study.
Certainly, if I ever get pregnant, I'll drop off the diet for nine months.

Besides, most of the high fat studies I've run across (I haven't done an
exhaustive search by any means) involve high fat / high carb diets
instead of high fat / low carb diets.  In other words, simply adding fat
to the traditional diet appears to be what is risky.  Especially to
mice, or rabbits.  Yes, one study showed that eating fat from meat
doesn't sit will with an herbivore's biology.

I know one data point is just an anecdote, but my appetite has already
returned to normal, I don't fight sleep in the afternoons, I don't crave
ice cream or sweets, I'm not constantly running to the bathroom, I don't
feel the urge to keep eating when I know I've had enough, and I seem to
have as much energy as I had before and I believe that I'm thinking
clearer.  And, my pants are starting to get loose around the waist.

Paul