[Vision2020] Would a private U of I be more capable and powerful? (was: ...Candidates)

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at frontier.com
Mon Oct 14 19:54:18 PDT 2013

On 10/14/2013 6:08 PM, Donovan Arnold wrote:
       "They should start the process for their predecessor, because the
turnover isn't that long."

A search for a predecessor is unnecessary.  They have all been found,
and their pictures are on the administration building's walls outside
the President's office.  A search for a successor is not advisable while
a serving incumbent who has not indicated resignation remains in office
because, at the least, it would be a distracting process for many people.

If you want to start something for the University, consider this: It may
be the case that the University of Idaho could be a more capable, more
powerful, and a better steward of its resources and opportunities if it
were a private university not so beholden to the politics, policies, and
other pees currently associated with the University's ties with the
State of Idaho.  For one thing, it may well be that, as a private
University, the institution could become more successful in raising its
endowment to higher, and more productive, levels.  (And, just in case
you're wondering, there are private land-grant universities.)

Of course, the process of going private would be an excellent
opportunity to initiate a zero-based review of the University,
top-to-bottom, inside-out, and every-which-way-but-loose.  That might
well be simultaneously scary and exciting, not to mention necessary.

Ken