[Vision2020] If you can't keep them from stopping..... Visions of Highway 12........

Ron Force rforce2003 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 9 21:11:52 PDT 2013

The Interstates were originally built by the Fed, but now are owned and maintained by the states, as are US highways.

Here's Wikipedia:
Interstate highways and their rights of way are owned by the state in which they were built. The last federally owned portion of the Interstate System was the Woodrow Wilson Bridge on the Washington DC Capital Beltway. The new bridge was completed in 2009 and is collectively owned by Virginia and Maryland [40] Maintenance is generally the responsibility of the state department of transportation. However, there are some segments of Interstate owned and maintained by local authorities.
About 70 percent of the construction and maintenance costs of Interstate Highways in the United States have been paid through user fees, primarily the fuel taxes collected by the federal, state, and local governments. To a much lesser extent they have been paid for by tolls collected on toll highways and bridges. The Highway Trust Fund, established by the Highway Revenue Act in 1956, prescribed a three-cent-per-gallon fuel tax, soon increased to 4.5 cents per gallon. In 1993 the tax was increased to 18.4 cents per gallon, where it remains as of 2012.[41]...

The system of United States Numbered Highways (often called U.S. Routes or U.S. Highways) is an integrated network of roads andhighways in the United States numbered within a nationwide grid. As these highways were coordinated among the states, they are sometimes called Federal Highways, but they have always been maintained by state or local governments since their initial designation in 1926.

Here's the source of funds for the Idaho Dept. of Transportation(2007):
Our transportation
revenue* comes from
the following sources
STATE 41.1%
• Gas Tax 40.8%
• Diesel Tax 18.2%
• Registration Fees 28.7%
• State Highway Account
Misc. Revenue 12.3%
FEDERAL 56.7%
LOCAL 1.9%
OTHER 0.3%
Idaho receives 64% more funding from the Federal Highway Fund than in pays into it in gas taxes.

Ron Force
Moscow Idaho USA

Yup, but Hawaii isn't the only state with an intrastate interstate.