[Vision2020] Zimmerman Verdict Does Not Alter Truth

Scott Dredge scooterd408 at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 6 15:33:31 PDT 2013

Donovan - I'd definitely like to hear what you think happened that night based on your understanding of events.

Anyway, Martin could have gone back to the house where he was staying. He could have called 911 and reported that he was being followed by a crazy person.  but he didn't.

Once the altercation started, should either / both of them over ridden their 'flight or fight' responses?  And if so, how, considering this survival response is programmed instinctively by evolution (or alternatively by God).

If I put myself in Martin's place, I can fully understand him going after Zimmerman (if that happened).
If I put myself in Martin's and then in Zimmerman's place, I can fully understand their survival instincts kicking in (if that happened).
What doesn't make sense to me at all is Zimmerman pulling his piece and intimidating Martin with it for 45 seconds before intentionally shooting him in the heart and then punching himself in the nose and scratching the back of his head until it bled prior to police arriving on the scene 2 minutes after the shooting (thus I don't believe this happened).

If I put myself on the jury, I would acquit based on 'self defense' because it makes sense to me that they were engaged in a physical altercation and, after some period of time, Zimmerman drew his weapon and fired.  I've seen / heard nothing to indicate that Zimmerman had any intention of killing Martin and it seems to me that the fatal shot through the heart was unaimed and instead was just instinctively 'point and shoot' (in my opinion).

I simply haven't heard any plausible alternative chain of events that would come anywhere close to 2nd degree murder or manslaughter based on 911 tapes, the recorded duration of the altercation followed by the recorded time of the shot, photographic evidence of injuries to Zimmerman, medical report of Zimmerman taken the morning after the shooting, witness testimony under oath and on the stand, and close proximity and angle of the bullet.

Now Saudra has pointed out inconsistencies between witness statements / testimonies and inconsistencies in Zimmerman's statement.  Fair enough, I don't think it's wise to cherry pick bits and pieces of statements / testimonies that are consistent with self defense and then just completely disregard other parts that consistent with murder.  Or vice verse.  That's just bias over riding critical thinking. Contrary to Saundra's comments of statements / testimonies / evidence that are 'inconvenient' for my 'narrative', I contend that any / all of this is not inconvenient to me in the least.  Once pointed out, it can prompt me to dig further into the available information and evaluate it accordingly.  She is right that I'm not fully familiar with all of John Good's statement / testimony as I didn't study it thoroughly as I was citing quotes of his testimony that were listed in the ABC news article I linked to thinking that ABC would not be a news source which would be biased towards a Zimmerman acquittal in a way that reporters for Fox News might be.

In my opinion, this was a perfect storm of events that led to a tragedy and I understand the many frustrations associated with conceal carry, etc.  If Zimmerman was not packing heat, I feel that the police (who were already en route due to his 4+ minute call to them prior to the shooting) would have arrived within 2 minutes and would have broken up the altercation.  There would have been no major injuries and no death.  But c'est la vie and c'est la mort.  Apparently no laws that could be proven beyond reasonable doubt were broken by Zimmerman according to Florida statues and thus there is no justice for Trayvon Martin and his family.  And despite this, there appears likely there will be no changes to any laws anywhere in the country based on this case.

-Scott