[Vision2020] Burglary Ring Alert

Moscow Cares moscowcares at moscow.com
Thu Nov 21 13:51:07 PST 2013

Courtesy of the Pullman Police Department at:

http://www.pullman-wa.gov/departments/police

---------------------------------

PRESS RELEASE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
November 21, 2013
Gary Jenkins, Chief of Police
Pullman Police Department
(509) 334-0802

Burglary Ring Alert
PULLMAN – Just over two weeks ago, Pullman Police arrested two suspects after they committed a home invasion robbery and then attempted to use stolen credit cards at local stores.  These suspects may be part of a burglary ring which has committed residential burglaries in Pullman and elsewhere.  We have reason to believe persons associated with the burglary ring have returned to Pullman today.

The burglary ring is known to travel in groups of two to eight and will park or drop off their passengers in residential areas.  Suspects will knock on the front door to determine if anyone is home.  If the resident answers the door, the suspects will ask for directions or say they are looking for someone.  If the resident does not answer the door, they will forcibly enter and burglarize the home.  The recent case in Pullman involved a suspect armed with a handgun.

The suspects arrested and their known affiliates are from Seattle and Pullman.  They are Somali and African American males in their late teens to early and mid-twenties.  When credit cards are stolen, the suspects attempt to use them immediately before the owner has a chance to report them stolen.  The suspects in the Pullman case used stolen credit cards to purchase gift cards that are untraceable and can be used later.

For residents who are home when an unknown or suspicious person knocks on their door, we recommend conversing through a closed and locked door to determine their identity and intentions, and to let them know someone is home.  For residents going out of town, communicate with neighbors so they can call the police if they observe any suspicious activity.  We recommend that all residents secure their valuables and to lock windows and doors to their homes and vehicles.  Students leaving town should consider taking their laptops and other portable valuables with them.

Holidays and periods during school breaks are attractive opportunities for criminals and we regularly experience a rise in burglaries and thefts during those times.  Take precautions to keep from becoming a victim and watch out for your friends and neighbors.  Residents and businesses are asked to call the police if they see any activity consistent with the information in this crime alert.

"Moscow Cares"
http://www.MoscowCares.com

"There's room at the top they are telling you still
But first you must learn how to smile as you kill

- John Lennon