[Vision2020] His Own Direction

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Wed Nov 13 04:58:07 PST 2013

Courtesy of today's (November 13, 2013) Moscow-Pullman Daily News.

---------------------------------
His own direction

Last Friday, I went to Spence Hardware to look at pitchforks and spent all of 15 minutes in the store. As I was leaving, a woman at the counter stopped me and asked if my name was Rebecca. I said yes, assuming it had something to do with my recent run for Moscow City Council. She said she had something for me and handed me a small pile of dollar bills with my name on an attached sticky note. She said, "A man just left this here for you. He said it was a donation and to tell you that he's a Christian who doesn't hate you."
I thanked her and left.
What was that all about, I wondered? I know plenty Christian folks - many family, friends, and acquaintances - but no one who would find difficulty in directly lending me their support. His action seemed to be tinged with some fear. Did it have to do with revealing to me who he was, or something else? I'll never know. But whatever it was that kept him from meeting me face to face, I appreciate that he demonstrated he was a person of conscience who'd apparently ended up thinking something through for himself.
Within a day or two, I found out from folks who had seen a post on the Moscow Vision 2020 forum, that a local pastor had instructed his flock specifically not to vote for anyone named Rebecca. Perhaps this man had been exposed to that directive - I don't know. But the good news is that, whatever Christian group he's connected to that conveyed to him I should be shunned (or hated) - he obviously made his own decision that day in Spence Hardware. There's hope in that.
Rebecca Rod
Moscow

http://www.MoscowCares.com

"There's room at the top they are telling you still
But first you must learn how to smile as you kill

- John Lennon