[Vision2020] Gabriel Rench and the School Bond

Sue Hovey suehovey at moscow.com
Fri May 17 14:40:53 PDT 2013

To read my name in any list involving support for MSD  is always gratifying, but when that list also names  Gerald Weitz I begin to wonder what I did wrong. Gerald Weitz’ one generous deed in providing for the alternative school is overshadowed by his desire to manage from the sidelines as he used to do when he was on the school board.  Remember those days.  He quit once in a fit of pique when he didn’t get his way.  One act I’d like to live over was my urging him to pull his resignation.  I had this strange notion that intelligent people could find ways to work together, but in his case I was wrong; really, really wrong.  One thing I will say for him, at sabotage, he’s a master.

He got kudos for buying air conditioners for certain hot classrooms, then had the teachers sell products to help pay for them.  Additionally, wiring in the buildings wasn’t sufficient so it cost the district a bundle to rewire to handle the load.  He prevailed in his suit against MSD sometime later, but the legal fees took money that might have helped pay for tools for student learning. His intent was to make a point, (he told me that.) The fallout was of no concern to him or he would have chosen to do it in a less harmful way.

In his comparison of MSD spending per pupil and Pullman spending per pupil he chooses to omit a critical figure.  In Washington State per pupil expenditure is $2300 more than in Idaho.  So local effort in Idaho is much more critical.  Note how many local districts in Idaho have to run supplemental levies.  That’s because the state appropriation for public schools, adjusted for regional impacts, is the lowest in the nation.  Gerry knows that.  It’s just not convenient to his argument.  (Idaho is the only state that provides no state appropriation for the building and upkeep of school structures, except this past session they allocated state money to charter schools, but that’s an issue for another day.)

Lastly, Gerry Weitz is an egocentric bully.  His “gentle” suggestions have one purpose..to defeat this measure.

Sue Hovey