[Vision2020] Heat-Trapping Gas Passes Milestone, Raising Fears

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sat May 11 18:36:52 PDT 2013

There is nothing notable, from a scientific viewpoint, about the number
400 as it relates to parts per million of CO2 in our atmosphere.  It's
no different, from a scientific perspective, than the numbers 398 or
407, for example.  It's not double the earliest readings of CO2, it's
not some threshold beyond which how it acts as a gas changes.  It didn't
just surpass the old record of 399 sometime in our past that now makes
it more important. It's just a number that humans see as impactful,
because the hundreds digit just changed and it's followed by two zeros,
all based on our choice of using base-10 for our numbering system.

It is, in fact, just another excuse to "raise fears".  So, of course,
you'll see all sorts of articles about it.

Paul