[Vision2020] Jus' when you thought it was safe to go outside . . .

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Mar 19 05:48:05 PDT 2013

Courtesy of today's (March 19, 2013) Moscow-Pullman Daily News.

-------------------------------------
Latah County gets liberty caucus
The Republican Liberty Caucus of Idaho is branching out across the state with Latah County assuming the first chapter of the far-right-leaning organization.
"It got started talking to some of the people down there (in Boise)," said Rick Henderson, chapter chairman and former candidate for Latah County sheriff. "We just felt it was a good time to start getting members in the county."
Henderson said the chapter wants to act as a caucus to the Latah GOP, endorsing candidates that follow the organization's principles of limited government and individual freedom. Kootenai County has also formed a chapter with Shoshone and Benewah counties not far behind, he said.
"We're looking to promote liberty-minded candidates first off," Henderson said, "people who are going to do what they said they're going to do."
The state Republican Party recognized the RLCID last year, but executive director Josh Whitworth said the two organizations do not work very closely.
"Within our organization they're not a subgroup beneath us. We did recognize them," Whitworth said. "... In the last election, we didn't coordinate or do anything between the two groups at all."
That doesn't mean the Idaho GOP doesn't value input from the RLCID, Whitworth said, "and we try to make sure they're involved in our goal of getting Republicans elected."
State recognition also doesn't translate to all Idaho counties, as Latah GOP Chairman Walter Steed said Monday he's unfamiliar with the organization and hadn't heard a county chapter had started.
"They have not talked to me, I have not talked to them," he said.
A majority of Latah County Republican precinct committeemen during a February meeting passed a vote of no confidence in Steed over a support letter he signed as Moscow City Council president.
The letter offered legislators ideas for gun violence measures GOP members say went against the party's stance on the Second Amendment. Leading the charge against Steed was Gresham Bouma, a two-time Idaho Senate candidate and now treasurer for the county's RLCID chapter.
"I don't know whether Walter will step down or not, but everyone else within the GOP is very clear on their opinion of the Second Amendment," Bouma said. "... Everybody except for Walter seems to be on the same page when it comes to the Second Amendment."
While Henderson and Bouma both want Steed to resign, they said the two Latah County organizations can work together to bring in the strongest conservative candidates.
"We'll attend the meetings," Henderson said. "We'll try to make some recommendations. Ultimately, we're hoping to work with them; particularly things that we agree on."
Bouma said the caucus also has the benefit of taking positions on candidates during the primary - campaigning and raising money for them - while the GOP party can't. The national Republican Liberty Caucus also operates a political action committee.
"I don't see us for the most part being in conflict with the party in general," Bouma said. "There are some elements in the party that won't be excited about us."
For this legislative session, that would be any Republican lawmaker in favor of a state health insurance exchange, which is mandated under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act - Obamacare - otherwise states will have to go with a federal plan.
"A state exchange is the worst possible choice for the people of Idaho, and I think our businesses as well," Bouma said. "It definitely will federalize medicine more than any other option would."
He added it does not provide more sovereignty for the state and will expose Idaho to further penalties and problems associated with Obamacare. Any lawmaker who favors the exchange will not be favored by the RLCID.
The Latah County chapter will hold a membership drive 6 p.m. March 26 at Smoky Mountain Pizza and offer a reduced cost for annual dues at that time.

Seeya round town, Moscow, because . . .

http://www.MoscowCares.com

"There's room at the top they are telling you still
But first you must learn how to smile as you kill

- John Lennon