[Vision2020] A Failure of Nampa Christian Academy . . . or Propaganda?

Saundra Lund v2020 at ssl1.fastmail.fm
Mon Mar 18 10:32:11 PDT 2013

I'm a bit behind in what the elected GOP fools have been doing in Idaho, so
my jaw hit the ground with I read the article below from the Statesman.

So, what are the possible explanations?  Well, it's possible this yahoo's
education at Nampa Christian Academy & BSU was severely deficient, again
illustrating why Idaho legislators should have to pass the same ISAT before
being sworn in and why Idaho children deserve for there to be meaningful
oversight of ALL schools.

Or, perhaps this dolt really thinks Idahoans are ripe for the picking for
his reeducation efforts.  Let's face it:  this is the kind of revisionist
history crap the GOP and their teabagging pals are trying around the country
with some success.  Shoot -- we've even seen some the results of that
patently false propaganda right here on V2020.

If, however, you believe Rep. Crane's explanation that he just "a slight
mistake" regarding "a little fact," please contact me immediately because
I've got some oceanfront property right here in Latah county for sale.

Saundra

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2013/03/15/2492347/top-idaho-lawmaker-botches-
civil.html#emlnl=Idaho_Legislature_Update

Dan Popkey: Top Idaho lawmaker botches civil rights history

Published: March 15, 2013

'We need to have our Rosa Parks moment,' says Rep. Crane during debate.

 The No. 3 Republican leader in the Idaho House says he made a "slight
mistake" when he described Rosa Parks as a champion of states' rights.

"One little lady got tired of the federal government telling her what to
do," Assistant Majority Leader Brent Crane of Nampa said during Wednesday's
debate on Gov. Butch Otter's bill establishing a state-run health insurance
exchange. "I've reached that point, Mr. Speaker, that I'm tired of giving in
to the federal government."

In fact, Parks' arrest for violating a local law by refusing to give up her
seat on a segregated Montgomery, Ala., bus in 1955 sparked the civil rights
movement, which ultimately ended a century of state-enforced racial
discrimination in "Jim Crow" laws.

The movement reached its climax in the 1964 Civil Rights Act and the 1965
Voting Rights Act when the U.S. Congress overcame full-throated Southern
cries of "states' rights."

Crane's misreading of one of the most important moments in American history
has prompted concern among some lawmakers

"There were some eyebrows raised when he went to Rosa Parks," House Speaker
Scott Bedke, R-Oakley, said Thursday.

Democrats were annoyed, said House Minority Leader John Rusche, D-Lewiston,
but he purposely held his tongue during debate.

"Do you think there was any point in standing up and pointing out the
irony?" Rusche said. "That debate was about how much we hate Obamacare,
Republican primary elections, control of the Republican caucus and
Republican central committees back home."

"I felt the reference to be offensive and disrespectful," said Senate
Democratic Caucus Chairwoman Cherie Buckner-Webb of Boise, the only
African-American in the 105-member Legislature.

"Jim Crow laws mandated racial segregation in all public facilities,"
Buckner-Webb said. "Those laws resulted in systematic disadvantage for
African-Americans across the South, including limited access to health care
and early death. The state health exchange, conversely, is meant to provide
health care and extend lives through the treatment of all, including the
disenfranchised."

 In 1993, Buckner-Webb spent a day with Rosa Parks when she came to speak at
Boise State. When Parks died in 2005, about 50,000 people viewed her casket
at the U.S. Capitol. Last month, in an unveiling ceremony including the
president, House speaker and Senate leader, Parks became the first
African-American woman to have a statue in the Capitol.

"She was a gentle, purposeful, committed civil rights advocate, interested
in a better way of life for every man, woman and child," Buckner-Webb said.

Crane told me he received no feedback about his error until I inquired
Thursday. "I had people say, 'You did a great job in your debate.' People
understood the point I was trying to make. And I'm sorry if it was an
oversight. Obviously, I didn't do my research."

Did Crane know the historical context before he Googled "Rosa Parks" on the
House floor in preparation for his debate?

"I'm sure we went over that in history class in high school and possibly in
history in college, possibly," said Crane, who graduated from Nampa
Christian High School and has a bachelor's in political science from BSU.

Crane, 38, is in his seventh year in the Legislature. His father, Ron, is a
Canyon County political legend who served 16 years in the House before
winning four terms as state treasurer.

A confidant of Congressman Raul Labrador, Crane is high on the list of
potential candidates for 1st District Congress should Labrador run for
governor next year.

Crane called his misstatement "a slight mistake" regarding "a little fact."
Five times in our five-minute conversation he said he was "disappointed"
about my writing about his error. "You knew my heart, you knew what I was
trying to say. I'm saying, just like Rosa Parks, 'Enough is enough.'"

Agreed.

Dan Popkey: 377-6438, Twitter: @IDS_politics

Read more here:
http://www.idahostatesman.com/2013/03/15/2492347/top-idaho-lawmaker-botches-
civil.html#emlnl=Idaho_Legislature_Update#storylink=cpy