[Vision2020] Idaho legislators pass bill blocking enforcement of federal gun ban

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 13 13:31:22 PDT 2013

Here is an article from examiner.com on the Idaho House passing the FEDERAL FIREARM, MAGAZINE AND REGISTER BAN ENFORCEMENT ACT (HB219).  Text of the bill can be found here: http://www.legislature.idaho.gov/legislation/2013/H0219.htm.

http://www.examiner.com/article/idaho-legislators-pass-bill-blocking-enforcement-of-federal-gun-ban

Paul

Idaho legislators pass bill blocking enforcement of federal gun ban
Earlier this week, lawmakers in Idaho passed a bill that would prohibit state and local police from enforcing any gun control mandates passed by the federal government, Red Alert Politics reported Tuesday.
The measure passed the Idaho state House by a 55-13 vote and now moves to the state Senate.

If the bill becomes law, Laura Byrne wrote, "any police officer found enforcing new federal gun restrictions could be sentenced up to a year
in prison and be fined $1,000."

State Representative Mark Patterson, the Republican who wrote the
measure, said that under the bill, Idahoans need not worry that police
will be "kicking in their front doors to take their firearms."
"The move by Idaho lawmakers comes amid a renewed debate over gun
control in the United States following a December shooting rampage at a
Connecticut elementary school that saw a gunman kill 20 children and six adults," Reuters added.

"This legislation is to protect Idaho law enforcement officers from being directed, through federal orders, laws, rules, or
regulations enacted or promulgated on or after January 1, 2013, to
violate their oath of office and Idaho citizens' rights under the Idaho
Constitution, Article 1, Section 11," the bill says.

If passed into law, the bill would prohibit confiscation of firearms except for those that are actually used in a felony.

Restrictions on a lawful citizen's right to own firearms and ammunition would also be prohibited.

The bill also says that supervisors cannot order Idaho law enforcement officers to violate the provisions in the bill.

Idaho Representative Judy Boyle (R) called the measure a "pre-emptive strike" against measures being considered in Congress.

"We want to make it clear to citizens of Idaho that our police
officers are our partners" in protecting the rights of law-abiding gun
owners, she said.

But some are not thrilled with the bill.

"I don't want to be pitting U.S. marshals against local law enforcement," said Rep. Elaine Smith, a Democrat.

Vaughn Killeen, head of the Idaho Sheriffs' Association, expressed
concerns that the bill, if passed into law, would damage agreements
between state and federal agencies working to stop illegal drug
trafficking.
But the bill specifically says that it "would clearly not affect an
Idaho law enforcement officer who assists federal agents on drug/gang or similarly related enforcement activities."
Other states, like Montana, Wyoming, Texas and Virginia are
considering legislation that would block federal gun restrictions, Byrne said.

"Bottom line," she wrote, "all across the country, states are sending President Obama a clear message. We don’t want your federal gun control laws here."