[Vision2020] NY Academy of Sciences: Climate Change Adaptation in New York City

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Tue Jun 11 15:59:57 PDT 2013

Convened by Mayor Michael Bloomberg, this report in part informs the just
announced 20 billion dollar NYC climate change adaptation plan.

One of the scientists co-authoring the report, *Vivien Gornitz,*, of
Columbia EI CCSR/NASA GISS, was kind enough to respond personally last June
2012 via email to some questions I had regarding sea level rise from
anthropogenic climate change, which I found rather surprising given I'm a
nobody living in hicksville Idaho:

[Vision2020] GISS Response: Fwd: Clarification Please: Sea Level Rise
article on GISS Website

http://mailman.fsr.com/pipermail/vision2020/2012-June/083572.html
http://www.nyas.org/publications/annals/Detail.aspx?cid=ab9d0f9f-1cb1-4f21-b0c8-7607daa5dfcc
Climate Change Adaptation in New York City: Building a Risk Management
Response

New York City Panel on Climate Change
2010 Report
*Free online access<http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/123443047/issue>
*
Volume 1196, May 2010

Climate change has the potential to affect everyday life in New York City.
Environmental conditions as we experience them today will shift, exposing
the city and its residents to new hazards and heightened risks; we will be
challenged by increasing temperatures, changes in precipitation patterns,
rising sea levels, and more intense and frequent extreme events. While
mitigation actions that reduce greenhouse gas emissions will help to
decrease the magnitude and impact of future changes, they will not prevent
climate change from occurring altogether. Funded through a grant from the
Rockefeller Foundation and modeled on the Intergovernmental Panel on
Climate Change, the New York City Panel on Climate Change (NPCC) was
convened by Mayor Michael Bloomberg in August 2008 as part of PlaNYC, the
City's long-term sustainability plan. The NPCC consists of scientists who
study climate change and its impact, as well as legal, insurance, and risk
management experts. This *Annals* volume presents the NPCC report,
including New York City–specific climate change projections, tools to help
entities identify climate vulnerabilities and develop adaptation
strategies, and recommendations on how to foster an effective climate
resilience program.

*Free online access to the full report -- click
here<http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/123443047/issue>
*

*New York City Panel on Climate Change*

**

   - *Cynthia Rosenzweig (Co-chair)*, NASA Goddard Institute for Space
   Studies (NASA GISS) and Columbia University Earth Institute, Center for
   Climate Systems Research (Columbia EI CCSR)
   - *William Solecki (Co-chair)*, City University of New York, CUNY
   Institute for Sustainable Cities (CUNY CISC)

   - *Reginald Blake*, CUNY, New York City College of Technology

   - *Malcolm Bowman*, SUNY, Stony Brook

   - *Andrew Castaldi*, Swiss Reinsurance America Corporation, represented
   by Megan Linkin

   - *Craig Faris*, Accenture

   - *Vivien Gornitz*, Columbia EI CCSR/NASA GISS

   - *Klaus Jacob*, Columbia Earth Institute

   - *Alice LeBlanc*, Consultant

   - *Robin Leichenko*, Rutgers University

   - *Edna Sussman*, Sussman ADR, LCC

   - *Gary Yohe*, Wesleyan University