[Vision2020] Biblical Marriage Not Defined Simply As One Man, One Woman: Iowa Religious Scholars' Op-Ed

Sue Hovey suehovey at moscow.com
Mon Jun 10 13:06:52 PDT 2013

I think you are correct that nothing in the bible prohibits marriage between homosexual persons.  The passages in Romans and Leviticus speak only of homosexual acts.  I think it’s interesting, though, that you say the bible is only about saving your soul.  When one looks at the many passages in the bible that define behavior as right or wrong, they extend way beyond soul saving.  If one distilled the bible into just those verses that describe the saving of a person’s soul, you could take, “Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shall be saved,” and put it on a single sheet.

Please don’t infer from what I am saying here that I oppose gay marriage.  I don’t.  What I oppose is the use of bible  proof-texting to make a point.

Sue