[Vision2020] Anti-discrimination Ordinances

Darrell Keim keim153 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 7 11:00:35 PDT 2013

I've got a few comments interspersed with yours below, Joe.

On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 10:49 AM, Joe Campbell <philosopher.joe at gmail.com>wrote:

> Thanks Darrell. I guess it was the explicit nature of the ban against gays
> that makes me scratch my head.

I believe it is due to who their largest chartering organizations are (LDS
and Catholic churches are the top two.)

> Suppose a scouting franchise was owned by a church the members of which
> didn't consider (say) LDS to be a Christian religion, and also considered
> all non-Christians to be atheists. By your reasoning it would be fine for
> that troop to ban Mormons, which seems wrong.

To be clear-A Scout doesn't need to be Christian.  They need to believe in
a god (or gods), not God. And, in reality, any troop can choose not to
accept any boy or adult for membership at the local level.  As I used to
tell people, if the troop or its chartering org. want to prohibit blondes,
that is their right.  At a practical level, when I was a pro I would've
freaked out if I had heard about a troop doing such...

> That strikes me as an appropriate analogy with the gay scout case. It
> isn't as if all Christian denominations are equally opposed to
> "homosexuality." There are gay bishops in both the Episcopal and Lutheran
> churches, for instance. And of course there are non-Christian denominations
> that are tolerant of gays and lesbians as well.

Correct.  It has been a huge debate within the program.  National took a
vote prior to the recent policy change.  About 60% favored the change.  Not
a huge margin!  But, again, look at who charters the troops.

On the local level our council had "fireside chats" prior to the vote.  The
top local exec polled local volunteers opinions, and answered questions.  I
went to one in Lewiston.  Out of about 30 people present-a room full of
people I know, and some I consider friends-I was the only person to speak
in favor of changing the policy.

> It seems wrong to ban scouts based on their religious views and if one of
> the local franchises did so I'm sure there would be an uproar. I see no
> difference in the case of sexual preference.

Again-to be clear-the Scouts wouldn't ban one because of their religious
views.  Only their nonreligious views.

> By the way I was a Boy Scout so I'm not opposed to scouting in general.
> I'm proud of you for your service to the community and I'm sure the boys
> whose lives you've influenced are happy for your services as well.

Thanks for the kind words Joe.  You made me smile!