[Vision2020] Anti-discrimination Ordinances

Darrell Keim keim153 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 7 10:16:57 PDT 2013

"What I don't understand is that there are a lot of "immoral" activities
besides "homosexuality" and atheism (neither one of which I consider to be
genuinely immoral). Why not explicitly list them all? You could apparently
be a thief, a liar, a rapist, etc. and the scouts don't give a damn. That's
why the restrictions are/were prejudicial in my view."

Joe:

When you join the Scouts you take an oath to "Do Your Best" to abide by a
code described in the Scout Oath and Law.

The twelve points of the Scout Law would seem to implicitly preclude
membership for rapists, thieves, etc.  I will concede that is not explicit
exclusion, as their current stance against homosexual leaders is.

Having spent nearly 10 years as a Scouting professional, and now serving as
one of the top local district leaders, I could go into great amounts of
detail about many Scouting related topics, but I will graciously save you
from the boredom.  Suffice it to say that most of their stances have to do
with how they are structured.  They are essentially a franchise, and they
license out the rights to use their program to local organizations.  Like
all franchises, those organizations own the local group, but agree to abide
by Scouting policies.  Once you realize that most (75-80%) Scouting groups
are "owned" by churches (Some of the largest users of the program are the
Catholic, LDS, Methodist and Lutheran churches), it becomes clear why they
take certain stances.