[Vision2020] PR - Bicycle and Pedestrian Enforcement Mobilization

Stephanie Kalasz skalasz at ci.moscow.id.us
Tue Jul 30 09:01:54 PDT 2013

City of Moscow
206 E Third Street
Moscow, ID 83843
Contact: Gary J. Riedner, City Supervisor
p    |    208.883.7006
e    |  griedner at ci.moscow.id.us<mailto:griedner at ci.moscow.id.us>
w   |    www.ci.moscow.id.us<http://www.ci.moscow.id.us>

PRESS RELEASE
Bicycle and Pedestrian Enforcement Mobilization

July 30, 2013 (Moscow, Idaho) - The Moscow Police Department, in conjunction with agencies throughout the state, is focusing our efforts to ensure that motorists, pedestrians and bicyclists are aware of and complying with Idaho State Laws regarding roadways, crosswalks and traffic control devices.  Our hope is that this campaign will heighten awareness and encourage safe and positive interactions between drivers, pedestrians and bicyclists.

For example a bicycle rider demonstrates due care when they are predictable to other vehicles by not driving out into traffic, off sidewalks or crossing streets without allowing enough time and distance for vehicles on the roadway to slow down or stop.  The use of hand signals also allows those traveling around bicyclists to know what the rider's intentions are. Please remember that according to Idaho Code 49-717, a bicyclist, when traveling in the roadway, is considered a vehicle, if a bicyclist cannot keep up with the flow of traffic then please ride close to the right side of the lane allowing others to safely pass.  When in the roadway, including bike lanes, bicyclists may not ride against traffic.  If a bicyclist is traveling on the sidewalk or in a crosswalk, a bicyclist has all the rights and duties applicable to a pedestrian under the same circumstance, Idaho Code 49-721, but is required to yield the right of way to pedestrians on the sidewalk.

For pedestrians, be aware of your surroundings, obey pedestrian control signals and don't cross against red lights.  Although pedestrians have the right of way in the crosswalk in most circumstances, please make sure it is first safe to enter the crosswalk.  Sudden entry onto the roadway or crosswalk is prohibited and dangerous.

Finally for motorists, please avoid distractions, stay alert and keep an eye out for pedestrians and bicyclists, especially near crosswalks. One of the most important things for everyone to remember is to be courteous, have patience and share the road, arrive alive.
###

Story Contact: Lt. Paul Kwiatkowski
Phone: 208.883.7067
Email: pkwiatkowski at ci.moscow.id.us<mailto:pkwiatkowski at ci.moscow.id.us>

The City of Moscow delivers quality municipal services while ensuring responsible use of resources.
We anticipate and meet the needs of our diverse population in order to build public trust and enhance a sense of community.