[Vision2020] Sea-level rise threatens 1,400 towns

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 29 21:25:55 PDT 2013

OK, a few thoughts.

First, while the majority of CO2 dissolves in the ocean within 200 years
or so, what's left can stick around in the atmosphere for hundreds of
years.  So getting everybody to stop producing CO2 is really a
non-starter in the cost/benefit analysis arena.  Cutting back on our
civilization's progress would be hampered greatly if we all got religion
and turned off all the coal plants and stopped burning fossil fuels or
using natural gas or plastics while we waited for renewables to take up
the slack.  I kind of like staying warm in winter, refrigerating my
food, running fans when it's hot, and so forth.

They suggest removing it from the air.  Since we're not going to turn
off all the coal plants anytime soon and start riding bicycles, these
magic carbon removal technologies would have to scale up to where they
were removing more CO2 from the air than mankind was putting in.  I
don't see that happening any time soon.

These cities that are threatened by sea level rise have hundreds of
years to figure something out about it.  It happens continually; it's
not like on one random day 300+ years from now the sea level rises 4 ft
in a few hours.  It happens slowly enough that simple natural building
abandonment will take care of much of the problem.  How many buildings
do we have that are 300 years old?  When they tear down the old building
and rebuild, they will move it back a few feet.  We're talking a few
millimeters a year in sea level rise.  The ones that get slowly flooded
will be abandoned and new ones built farther back.  If you watched it in
some kind of simulator, you'd see the city slowly creep back from the
water line and move farther inland, one building at a time.

But, if we're worried about it, we should move to a nuclear supplemented
by renewables energy scheme right now on a global scale.  Start building
new nuclear reactors with the newer designs, and start researching ones
that use thorium or current nuclear waste products as fuel.  Then
everybody buys a Tesla, and we just have wait as the CO2 is naturally
scrubbed from the atmosphere and the world cools down until it's a
blessed paradise.  A blessed paradise without plastics or lubricants,
but I'm sure we could solve those problems.

Paul