[Vision2020] Why do we need immigration reform?

Scott Dredge scooterd408 at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 29 14:15:25 PDT 2013

<About three million undocumented immigrants [under Reagan] were granted legal status. And what has happened since?>
The same thing that happens to a lot of folks once they gain legal status.  They no longer want to work in the fields for low wage jobs when they're entitled by law to be compensated for minimum wage at the very least.

<Before I would support any type of "immigration reform", I want to see the current laws enforced.>
Some of these laws may be completing outdated/obsolete and others just may be ineffective/unenforceable.  These laws can be updated and tightened without wide scale 'reform'.  It might be wise to have 2 or 3 phase approach where the current system is tweaked to bring it up to date followed by some further minor additions followed by the final fixes.

I'm still looking for definitions of the problems.  They seem to be:
- There is work needed to be done that pays very low wages (below the legal minimum).  If minimum wage if enforced for these jobs, the employer will lose money and thus simply not have the work performed, will have the work done by him or herself and with friends/family members, or will find a way against the law to have this work performed.
- People from other parts of the world are willing to cross the US borders illegally to get into 'the land of opportunity' where they can work back breaking jobs for low wages and believe they are much better off than they would be in the home countries.
- Illegal aliens in general seem to pay very little in taxes and yet consume resources funded by tax dollars?
- Granting amnesty to illegal aliens would reward them for entering the country illegally and be unfair to others residents who are have come to the United States through the proper legal channels? This would encourage more people to come to the US illegally?
- ...

-Scott