[Vision2020] Coyotes

deb debismith at moscow.com
Sat Jul 27 20:11:57 PDT 2013

Has anyone else noticed a major up-tick in coyotes this year? It's 8pm, and we have them howling close by. In years past, we haven't even heard them until after dark! And Tuesday morning at 10 am, I spotted a lone 'yote trying to get into my chicken yard!! Yikes! I scared him/her off, then thought that might have not been such a bright idea, confronting a coyote from 3 feet with nothing but a harvesting basket.

Of course, I'm the flaming idjit who, when a brown bear walked within 4 feet of me, got up and walked up to it. Luckily, it thought (rightfully) I was brain damaged or rabid and ran away bravely while my spouse and son yanked me back to my senses. No idea what gets into me, sometimes. Glad I have people watching my foolish ass....and, yes, I do howl back at the 'yotes.

Bad me, I'll go sit in a corner, and curse those damn Disney shows I watched as a kid that hard-wired me to think of wildlife as cute  and furry toys......Unless I have time to THINK (which admittedly takes longer at 60), I revert to my Disney Kid and just act dumb as all get out around fauna. It might be a rabid squirrel or bat, bears have big claws, hawks are just NASTY. HUH???

Who got that message from Disney in the 1950's? Hell, we fed the bears at Yellowstone Park from the windows of our car! STOOPID MUCH, PARENTS? Walt Disney et al have a lot of maimings to answer for!! Of course, we also drove all over the US with 6 yelling kids, no seat belts, and sleep deprived adults who thought they had to give us an "experience" of America.......
Rant over----should never talk on the phone to my "baby brother" who missed most of the Disney World View.....He spotlights coyotes and thinks its good sport. Got to be a middle ground somewhere?
Debi R-S