[Vision2020] Zimmerman Verdict Does Not Alter Truth

Joe Campbell philosopher.joe at gmail.com
Sun Jul 21 21:45:12 PDT 2013

Paul,

What would you do if someone were following you around in a car? What would
you have done when you were 17?

You don't know what caused Zimmerman's head injuries or the injury to his
nose. They were in some sort of fight, right? The injuries seem consistent
with that, nothing more. Have you ever had your head bashed in? do you know
how much blood there would be if just once Zimmerman had his head bashed to
the ground? Do we have any clean pictures of Martin's head and face to see
what they looked like?

What if Martin had a gun too? Then he could have shot Zimmerman. What then?
You say you are for protection of rights but what do you say when you look
at the statistics, which I posted recently, suggesting that had Martin shot
Zimmerman his chances of getting off free would have been far less than
Zimmerman's? Do you want to argue that the criminal justice system if free
of prejudice? Is that your claim? If not, let the people vent. What is the
harm in that?

There is something wrong with Zimmerman's story. I don't want to vilify
Zimmerman. All I want to do is prevent the next Zimmerman/Martin episode
from happening. Leave police work to the police; if a 911 operator suggests
that you should refrain from following someone than do it; if you feel so
insecure when you leave your home that you need to carry a gun and follow
"suspicious" people around, then don't leave your home; make sure someone
is actually trying to kill you before you shoot them. This is all good
advice that Zimmerman failed to follow -- and that you might fail to follow
to, Paul, which is the only reason I'm talking to you now.

Martin was 17. 17. He was a kid and Zimmerman, man enough to police the
neighborhood, shot an unarmed kid in an effort to what -- save himself?
>From what -- a beating? Do you really want to say that he didn't use
excessive force, long after he stalked the kid, after he was advised not to
do so? Do you think we should all be armed, that if Martin were armed the
situation would have been better since he was killed and if he were armed
he could have defended his life? Is this the kind of culture you are
striving for?

Folks who stalk unarmed kids with guns and then kill them should be
punished. I'm not saying the jurors were at fault but we need to change
some laws to make sure that this doesn't happen again.

Joe