[Vision2020] Boy Scouts At It Again

Darrell Keim keim153 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 11:13:26 PDT 2013

*Sure, Rose, I can give a few thoughts.  I am still involved in the BSA as
a local district volunteer.  But, in no way should my thoughts be construed
as anything but my own speculations.  *

* *

*My comments are interspersed below.*

-------------------------------------------****

** **

It's not too often that I find myself speechless, but the BSA & its****

supporters have accomplished it by deciding to exclude obese adults and****

Scouts from the important Jamboree:****

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/07/15/19488312-obese-boy-scouts-left-ou
****

t-of-national-gathering?lite****

*I don’t usually pay much attention to the National Jamboree.  I prefer to
focus my efforts locally, where I feel I can best make a difference.  With
that said, I know it is a great experience.  *

* *

*I read the linked article.  It appears they chose a physically challenging
location for their camp, and gave lots of notice to prospective
participants that they need to get in shape if they wish to attend.
Physical fitness is a major goal of the BSA, a goal they have recently
pledged to work harder on.  I like this, and feel that providing boys with
a goal to work towards is an excellent motivator.  I would’ve liked to see
them have some activities in less physically challenging areas of the
camp.  I’d like boys off all levels to be able to attend, with the
motivator being seeing the more fun activities the physically fit boys can
do in addition to the regular activities.*

* *

*It also appears they are getting health info of those planning to attend,
and not permitting people over a certain BMI.  I do not like this, but I
suspect I know where it is coming from:  Controlling risk.  The BSA is
self-insured.  They want to make certain no one dies or is seriously
injured because they over-estimated their physical abilities.  Put simply:
They don’t want to get sued.  I would rather they had explained the risks
clearly, and required waivers from people over a certain BMI.  People can
make their own choices.*

** **

Granted, since I'm female, I never participated in the BSA (I went the****

Bluebird and Camp Fire route), but my brother did, and attending Jamboree***
*

was one of the highlights of his life.****

** **

*Actually, as a female you could’ve participated in their Exploring program
for adolescents.*

** **

Looking at the photos of him in those years, it's possible he would have****

been excluded during those chunky pre-puberty years.  And, he'd have missed*
***

the opportunity to return in better shape and more enthusiastic about being*
***

physically active.****

** **

I guess there's just something about the BSA that deep down *wants* to have*
***

groups to exclude.****

** **

*Speaking as a former professional, I can tell you the BSA HATES to exclude
kids.  Most volunteers and professionals passionately believe that every
kid should benefit from the Scout program.  My success as a professional
was dependent on my ability to grow the local program.  My sworn duty was
to give every kid in the area a chance to participate as I grew the local
BSA program.  The more kids in the program, the stronger the program is. I
did not like that there was a population of local kids that I could not
reach.  But, the kids must be willing to follow the Scout Oath and Law.  *

* *

*As recent BSA policy changes have shown, interpretation of that law
evolves very slowly. Our council held a series of Fireside Chats in the
lead-up to the recent policy change.  I went to the Lewiston chat.  It was
led by the Council executive and top two council volunteers.  Purpose was
to gauge local feelings about the proposed change.  There were about 30
people present.  Opinion in that room was strongly against changing the
policy(At that time the proposal was a total lift on the ban, not the
eventual compromise proposal that passed).  I was THE ONLY PERSON to speak
favorably of lifting the ban.  And the furthest I went was to ask the
following questions “Why does the BSA put itself in the position of
dictating theology to churches?  Why don’t we let the churches pick their
own Scout leaders, as they did before the BSA instituted a no homosexuals
rule in the nineties?”*

** **

  First, it was blacks, then it was gays . . . and now****

it's the obese.  Oh, and aren't atheists still banned?****

** **

*Todays BSA is a reflection of the organizations that Charter its troops.
That is mostly conservative churches (LDS, Methodist, Catholic and Lutheran
are some of their largest charter partners).  Charter Organizations approve
all major policies.  The BSA will change as the desires of these
organizations change.  Since we are talking about churches, I suspect those
changes will be very slow.  Societal views changed on racism, and are
changing on homosexuality.  As are the BSA policies about them.  I suspect
the BSA will always ban atheists, due to their Charter Organization
structure.*

** **

But, honestly, I guess I shouldn't be surprised this is coming from an****

organization with long history of justifying discrimination.****

** **

Darrell, I seem to recall you've devoted a part of your life to BSA (they***
*

are/were lucky to have you!), and I'm genuinely interested in your thoughts*
***

about this, if you care to share.****

** **

** **