[Vision2020] Boy Scouts At It Again

Saundra Lund v2020 at ssl1.fastmail.fm
Tue Jul 16 02:36:40 PDT 2013

It's not too often that I find myself speechless, but the BSA & its
supporters have accomplished it by deciding to exclude obese adults and
Scouts from the important Jamboree:
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/07/15/19488312-obese-boy-scouts-left-ou
t-of-national-gathering?lite

Granted, since I'm female, I never participated in the BSA (I went the
Bluebird and Camp Fire route), but my brother did, and attending Jamboree
was one of the highlights of his life.

Looking at the photos of him in those years, it's possible he would have
been excluded during those chunky pre-puberty years.  And, he'd have missed
the opportunity to return in better shape and more enthusiastic about being
physically active.

I guess there's just something about the BSA that deep down *wants* to have
groups to exclude.  First, it was blacks, then it was gays . . . and now
it's the obese.  Oh, and aren't atheists still banned?

But, honestly, I guess I shouldn't be surprised this is coming from an
organization with long history of justifying discrimination.

Darrell, I seem to recall you've devoted a part of your life to BSA (they
are/were lucky to have you!), and I'm genuinely interested in your thoughts
about this, if you care to share.

Saundra
Moscow, ID

nothing.