[Vision2020] And so it goes . . .

Carl Westberg idahovandal1 at live.com
Sun Jul 14 17:21:55 PDT 2013

I've been following the comments thread in the Zimmerman story in the Spokesman-Review, and many are blaming the"MSM" for making this trial racially charged.  Even granting, for argument's sake, that the media did play up the race angle, it would have been racially charged regardless.  It was only until about fifty years ago that a black man could be shot to death in the deep south (or perhaps three young girls blown up in an Alabama church) and the killing(s) would be, for all intents and purposes, quasi-legal, and the killer would face no justice at all.  People have not forgotten those days, and suspicion about the effort law enforcement expends on investigating the death of a person of color has not gone away.  I don't know the facts in this case, I don't know if the verdict was just or not, but even if the verdict was justified, with or without media help, race was inevitably going to be a major underlying theme in a case like this.  Racial tension in this country still simmers.