[Vision2020] PR - City Commission Requests Comment on Proposed Park Name

Stephanie Kalasz skalasz at ci.moscow.id.us
Tue Jul 2 16:41:19 PDT 2013

City of Moscow
206 E Third Street
Moscow, ID 83843
Contact: Gary J. Riedner, City Supervisor
p     |  208.883.7006
e     |   griedner at ci.moscow.id.us<mailto:griedner at ci.moscow.id.us>
w    |  www.ci.moscow.id.us<http://www.ci.moscow.id.us>

PRESS RELEASE
City Commission Requests Comment on Proposed Park Name

July 2, 2013 (Moscow, Idaho) - The City of Moscow Parks and Recreation Commission is seeking public comment on the proposed name of the property to be developed along Paradise Path near Northwest River Supplies (formerly, Tidyman's) and Alturas Technology Park.

The proposed park name, "Blackbird Crossing," is in honor of former City of Moscow Council President John Dickinson.  Here are some excerpts from the recommendation letter submitted by Mayor Chaney, "Mr. Dickinson lived in the area and was a generous supporter of the Latah Trial ... Many of John's friends associate him with blackbirds as a kind of totem animal and recurring theme in our remembrances ... Blackbirds, particularly redwing blackbirds, are common at that marshy area along the Paradise Path, between Blaine and Alturas Drive.  When I was seeking inspiration for a name and biking along that section, several blackbirds flew up around me and swooped across the path.  The name Blackbird Crossing felt exactly right.  I hope that you will agree."

The sixty (60) day public comment period will be open through August 26, 2013, and residents are invited to voice support or opposition to the proposed name, which will be considered by the Moscow City Council when presented for approval in early fall.

Comments can be delivered to the Moscow Parks and Recreation office at the Hamilton Indoor Recreation Center, located at 1724 E. F St., or sent by email to enewell at ci.moscow.id.us<mailto:enewell at ci.moscow.id.us> with the subject line of "Park Naming Comments." For information, call (208) 883-7084.

###

Story Contact: Eric Newell, Recreation Supervisor
Phone: 208.883.7089
Email: enewell at ci.moscow.id.us<mailto:enewell at ci.moscow.id.us>

The City of Moscow delivers quality municipal services while ensuring responsible use of resources.
We anticipate and meet the needs of our diverse population in order to build public trust and enhance a sense of community.