[Vision2020] UPDATE: Missing UI student found dead

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Mon Jan 21 18:46:35 PST 2013

Courtesy of the Moscow-Pullman Daily News.

-------------------------------------
UPDATE: Missing UI student found dead
Staff report | Posted: Monday, January 21, 2013 12:00 am
The search for a University of Idaho student who went missing from campus Sunday morning ended with the discovery of 18-year-old Joseph Wiederrick’s body under the Paradise Creek Bridge in Moscow today.
Moscow Police Chief David Duke said Latah County Search and Rescue discovered the UI student’s body under the bridge on the 2800 block of North Mountain View Road around 4 p.m. today after initiating a search Sunday afternoon.
Wiederrick had left a function at the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity around 2 a.m. Sunday, but a friend reported he never returned to his residence at the Theophilus Tower. He had gone to the fraternity to visit a friend and pledge there.
Duke said a woman found him in her basement on Highland Drive around 3 a.m. He was asked to leave. A homeowner on the west side of Mountain View Road also reported Wiederrick had knocked on his door and was told to leave.
Tracking his footprints and reports, Duke said Wiederrick appeared disoriented and later slipped down into the creek bed where it is believed he crawled under the bridge to rest. It is likely he died of hypothermia, and it will take up to three weeks to get the results of a blood screening, Duke said.
Wiederrick is from Hailey, Idaho, and his parents had come up this morning while the search continued.

I know that I echo the sentiment of everybody else on this listserve when I say that my sorrow and sympathies go out to the Wiederrick family.