[Vision2020] Search under way for missing UI student

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Mon Jan 21 13:28:58 PST 2013

Courtesy of the Moscow-Pullman Daily News.

-------------------------------------
Search under way for missing UI student
The search for a University of Idaho student who went missing from campus Sunday morning continues today.
Police and search and rescue are focusing on the northern portion of the city where 18-year-old Joseph Wiederrick was last reported.
Wiederrick had left a function at the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity around 2 a.m. Sunday but a friend reported he never returned to his residence at the Theophilus Tower.
Moscow Police Lt. Dave Lehmitz said his cellphone was pinged two miles north of Moscow and Police Chief David Duke said a woman found him in her basement on Highland Drive around 3 a.m. He was asked to leave, and Duke said the woman reported Wiederrick did not appear intoxicated. He added the UI student has no medical history to explain why he would have wandered off.
His footprints were tracked east of town by Darby Road, which corresponds with the tracking of his phone.
“We still have people out in the field trying to find the missing suspect,” said Gene Merrell, incident commander for Latah County Search and Rescue. “It’s always difficult, but we always have hope until we find somebody.”
Wiederrick’s hometown is in Hailey, Idaho, and police are in communication with his parents who recently arrived in Moscow, said Duke.
Wiederrick is 6 feet tall, 135 pounds, with blonde hair and brown eyes. He was last seen wearing a striped hooded sweatshirt under a bright blue ski jacket, grey shoes, grey pants and a black backpack. Anyone with information that will help in locating Wiederrick is asked to call (208) 882-COPS.
UI student Joseph Wiederrick

Seeya round town, Moscow, because . . .

"Moscow Cares"
http://www.MoscowCares.com

"There's room at the top they are telling you still
But first you must learn how to smile as you kill

- John Lennon