[Vision2020] Huh?

Joe Campbell philosopher.joe at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 20:11:25 PST 2013

Just to be clear, my view is that guns in schools would be more dangerous
than not, in part because the risk of shooters is slim and there is always
a risk when guns are present. The possibility that guns in schools might
make them targets is one risk but that needs to be assessed. I'm not saying
I'm certain that that would be the case.

I'm curious about the "some people are evil" claim but it is just a
philosophical curiosity. Are they born evil? If so, then it isn't their
fault. Do they become evil? I have a hard time seeing how, either way, the
person could be responsible for their actions. My view is not that no one
is responsible for anything. Given that these folks have mental disorders
and are generally too young to have fully developed brains (even if they
didn't have mental disorders), and thus can hardly be held accountable for
becoming "evil," I can't see how the people are evil, though clearly what
they do is evil.

But this is a philosophical concern and neither here nor there. The debate
should be about the best solution to lowering gun violence and bringing
peace and security to school children and their parents. Where it is
relevant is that any solution is going to have to get the causal factors
right. Putting too much emphasis on evils that don't exist might result in
the wrong solution.