[Vision2020] Wayne Krauss

Ron Force rforce2003 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 27 13:34:53 PST 2013

I believe it goes something like this. Lawyers, please step in and correct me if I'm wrong. In anti-discrimination law, there is the concept of protected classes, that is, characteristics that are protected by law against discrimination or harassment, such as race, religion, disability status, veteran, etc. These characteristics are specifically codified by law. If you are discriminated against because of a characteristic that is not specified by law, you don't have legal standing. Here are the federal classifications (from Wikipedia):

Protected class is a term used in United States anti-discrimination law.[1] The term describes characteristics or factors which cannot be targeted for discrimination and harassment. The following characteristics are considered "Protected Classes" and persons cannot be discriminated against based on these characteristics:
	* Race – Federal: Civil Rights Act of 1964
	* Color – Federal: Civil Rights Act of 1964
	* Religion – Federal: Civil Rights Act of 1964
	* National origin – Federal: Civil Rights Act of 1964
	* Age (40 and over) – Federal: Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967
	* Sex – Federal: Equal Pay Act of 1963 & Civil Rights Act of 1964
	* Familial status - Federal: Civil Rights Act of 1968 Title VIII (Housing, cannot discriminate for having children, exception for senior housing)
	* Disability status – Federal: Vocational Rehabilitation and Other Rehabilitation Services of 1973 & Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990
	* Veteran status – Federal Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974
	* Genetic information – Federal: Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act

You will note that LGBT is not a federally protected class. Unless covered by state or local ordinances, employers or landlords are free to discriminate against LGBT individuals. Washington State law has LGBT a a protected class. Idaho does not, and in 2012, explicitly rejected adding such a class to state anti-discrimination laws.

Ron Force
Moscow Idaho USA