[Vision2020] Are You Smart Enough to Be a Citizen?

Scott Dredge scooterd408 at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 10 22:51:09 PST 2013

<How do curriculum writers choose content?>
I'd hope they'd pick a broad array of questions regarding the American system of government.

<If not all amendments are
    to be taught in a course, how are the chosen chosen or the omitted
    chosen for omission? >
There are 27 amendments.  Some are
pretty straightforward, uncontentious, and rarely put forth as arguments
 used for bolstering or striking down laws.  I think they're OK for
historical reference, but is the 13th amendment going to come into play
in any federal, state, or local referendums?  If not, then why put focus
 on it?  And yet Amendments 1, 2, 4, 5, and 14 are going to be invoked
in Supreme Court cases ad nauseum until the Republic is dissolved.

<Analogously, how do teachers choose what to
    include, and what to exclude, from a course, or an individual class,
    if that's all the time that is available for a particular topic?>
I'd hope they'd pick a broad array of the most common things that cover the subject matter.

<Do
    the choices depend on the ages and levels of the students?>
Yes.

<Do the
    choices depend on what was available elsewhere in the curriculum,
    and assumed to be the case for the choices at hand?>
Yes.

<Do the answers to the above generalize from constitutional
    amendments to more general subject matters, mathematics, for
    instance?>
Not mathematics in general, but where numbers are
pertinent with the American system of government, these questions should
 be on the list of what might be asked.  How many senators are there in
Congress?  How many members are in the House of representatives?  How
many justices comprise the Supreme Court?  How many total electoral
votes are available in the electoral college?  Etc.

Other subject matters such questions regarding some basic America history should be asked IMO.  Who was the 1st president of United States?  Name the 2 senators of your state.  Who is the current president and vice president?  I think it's fair game to ask to name the chief justice of the Supreme Court.

<Do these choices reflect what students should know, in some sense of
    that term?>
Yes for the student questions.

<Do the choices reflect what adults should know?>
Yes - this would be a broader choice of questions that would also include some of the same questions that would be asked of students.

If
    there is a difference, how can the difference be succinctly
    described?
1) Adult 2) minor.  For minors, test as appropriate per grade level.

Is there a reason why minors need citizenship as opposed to just having a green card (which is virtually the same thing as citizenship when for minors), and then apply for citizenship when they become adults?

-Scott