[Vision2020] Are You Smart Enough to Be a Citizen?

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at frontier.com
Tue Dec 10 15:03:39 PST 2013

On 12/9/2013 11:31 PM, Sue Hovey wrote:

> An example, if you were writing a high stakes citizenship test and
> wanted applicants to know the elements of the 4 most critical
> amendments, which 4 would you choose?      For me, I think   1, 13, 14
> and hummmmm 4 5 15 26 19 ? the ERA if we ever get it passed?  Let me
> think about that.

How do curriculum writers choose content?  If not all amendments are to
be taught in a course, how are the chosen chosen or the omitted chosen
for omission?  Analogously, how do teachers choose what to include, and
what to exclude, from a course, or an individual class, if that's all
the time that is available for a particular topic?  Do the choices
depend on the ages and levels of the students?  Do the choices depend on
what was available elsewhere in the curriculum, and assumed to be the
case for the choices at hand?

Do the answers to the above generalize from constitutional amendments to
more general subject matters, mathematics, for instance?

Do these choices reflect what students should know, in some sense of
that term?  Do the choices reflect what adults should know?  If there is
a difference, how can the difference be succinctly described?

Ken