[Vision2020] Non-citizens soon won't be able to shirk jury duty

Scott Dredge scooterd408 at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 24 11:31:25 PDT 2013

Here's one less excuse to avoid applying for citizenship.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2013/08/22/non-citizens-could-be-jurors-under-calif-bill/

There still are easy ways to get out of jury duty.  The easiest one for non-citizens is to feign that they can't speak English.  The exchange typically goes like this:

Judge: 'Prospective juror #1, have you ever been on a jury?'
#1: 'Eshooze me, I no speak very good English.'
Judge: 'How long have you lived in LA county?'
#1: 'Uh...25 years.'
Judge: '25 years and you don't speak English very well?'
#1: 'Uh...no.'
Judge: 'Prospective juror #2, have you every been on a jury?'
#2: 'I don't understand anything.'
Judge: 'How long have you lived in LA county?'
#2: 'I don't understand anything.  Nothing.'