[Vision2020] Female soldier asks pop star Pink to Army ball

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Mon Aug 19 05:50:49 PDT 2013

Courtesy of the Army Times.

--------------------------------------

Female soldier asks pop star Pink to Army ball

Singer Pink is the latest celebrity to receive an invitation to a military ball — this time from a female sol­dier in Afghanistan who put a new, musical twist on her invite.

Spc. Joanna Wehr, an Army me­chanic on her sec­ond deployment, posted a musical invitation on YouTube in which she sang to the tune of a Pink song whose title con­tains an obscenity and the word “Perfect.”

Wehr wants to take Pink to her unit’s welcome-home ball at Fort Bliss, Texas, in December.

“Pretty, pretty please, would you consider joining me tomy formal for the Army?” Wehr, 25, sings in the video, her back against a five-ton cargo truck. “Pretty, pretty please, it’d be so amazing to take a fellow girl from Pennsylvania with me.” Actors Justin Timberlake and Mila Kunis have accepted such invitations, as has re­ality TV star Kristin Cavallari.

There was no word from Pink’s camp as of Aug. 16 whether she has seen the video or will accept.

Wehr, whose 1-501 Aviation Recon­naissance Battalion is at Forward Operating Base Fenty, in Jalalabad, said she hopes it will make a differ­ence that her hometown, Bar­nesville, Pa., is near Pink’s hometown, Doylestown, Pa., and that Pink’s father is a Vietnam veteran.

“I am trying to fight the negativity from people telling me I won’t be able to get my message to her, that I’m just an ‘anybody,’ ” Wehr wrote in an email to Army Times.“I know she’s a supporter of our brothers and sisters in arms, past and present. I would be beyond grateful if you could consider helping me prove those people wrong, and making my dream come to life.”

In a follow-up online chat, Wehr told Army Times that since she was 12 years old, she has had a crush on Pink.

“I mean come on, who DOESN’T think P!nk is gorgeous?” Wehr said.

Wehr said although she is gay, the invitation has less to do with her sex­uality than her deep admiration and respect for Pink as a musician and a person.

“I’ve always loved her music and her attitude, because she’s truly like no other female artist,” Wehr said.

Pink is an outspoken supporter of gay rights, and accepting Wehr’s in­vitation would make a hat trick for the pop star. Recently, at Pink’s con­cert in Sydney, she proposed mar­riage on behalf of a lesbian fan, and days earlier in Melbourne she danced on stage with a rainbow flag.

In a tweet, Pink said afterward, “Fun fact: when you twitter me and say “you’re a lesbian”. It really doesn’t bother me at all. It’s a compliment. Most of my fav ppl are, so…” Pink, born Alecia Moore, is married to motocross racer Carey Hart, with whom she has a daughter.

http://www.MoscowCares.com

"There's room at the top they are telling you still
But first you must learn how to smile as you kill

- John Lennon