[Vision2020] Proud of protests

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sun Aug 18 07:26:34 PDT 2013

Courtesy of today's (August 18, 2013) Spokesman-Review with appreciation and thanks to Brett Haverstick.

--------------------------------------

Proud of protests

Last week, I witnessed something that will forever change my life – for the better. On three successive nights, I observed men, women and children of the Nez Perce Tribe fighting for their treaty rights, fighting for our ever-fading democracy and fighting to prevent U.S. Highway 12 from becoming a permanent industrial corridor.

I witnessed leaders of the Nez Perce Tribal Executive Committee put their bodies in front of a 600,000-pound truck and get arrested. I witnessed women with newborn babies strapped to their chest standing in the middle of the highway confronting multinational corporations for trespassing. I witnessed children carrying protest signs and placing rocks in the road as a machine the size of a football field barreled toward them.

Not to be forgotten, I saw dozens of Idaho State Police officers, county sheriffs and tribal police officers provide a red-carpet escort for the Omega Morgan megaload. Regrettably, I witnessed our federal government fail to honor tribal treaty rights, fail to enforce federal law(s) and completely whiff on an opportunity to defend its citizens against corporate tyranny.

I proudly stand with the Nez Perce and everyone else fighting the good fight on U.S. 12. I've got your back.

Brett Haverstick

Moscow, Idaho

Friends of the Clearwater
http://www.friendsoftheclearwater.org/

"Nez Perce Stand:  The Fight for the Future"
http://www.nomegaloads.com/NezPerceProtest_080513.htm

http://www.MoscowCares.com

"This is the 'Mouse that Roared,' 'David and Goliath' and 'Avatar' all rolled into one.  We must remember that the thousands of citizens involved in this effort to protect their personal and family safety, their businesses and their lifestyles are confronting some of the largest international corporations in the world."

~ Linwood Laughy ~