[Vision2020] It's Time for an Honest Conversation About Marijuana . . .

Saundra Lund v2020 at ssl1.fastmail.fm
Wed Aug 14 12:56:14 PDT 2013

In part, Scott wrote:

IMO, neither she nor anyone else should use the old 'felony on the record'
as an excuse for not being able to be a productive member of society.  It's
just not true.  Several members of my family have felony convictions and
have had no issue finding jobs, housing, and even loans.

Scott, while I'm really happy that's been the case for your family members,
they represent exceptions rather than the rule, something that's been
validated in study after study after study.  For instance, try reading the
Center for Economic and Policy Research's study entitled "Ex-Offenders and
the Labor Market," which is freely available here:

http://www.cepr.net/documents/publications/ex-offenders-2010-11.pdf

An extensive body of research has established that a felony conviction or
time in prison makes individuals significantly less employable. This effect
is not simply that individuals who commit crimes were less likely to work in
the first place. Rather, the best available evidence suggests that felony
convictions or time in prison has an independent impact that further lowers
the employment prospects of ex-offenders. (p 2)

Employers reported that they were much less likely to hire ex-offenders. The
vast majority of employers (80 to 90 percent), for example, said that they
would 'definitely' or 'probably' hire "former welfare recipients, workers
with little recent work experience or lengthy unemployment, and other
stigmatizing characteristics" (Holzer, 2007, p. 14). By contrast, only about
40 percent of employers would 'definitely' or 'probably' hire applicants
with criminal records, especially for jobs that involved dealing with
customers or handling money.33  (p 10)

I could, of course, provide cite after cite, but I think you get the point.
And, while it's tempting to use anecdotal experiences to support one's
position, that doesn't trump validated facts, IMO.  Again, I'm glad your
family members haven't faced the employment and housing challenges that are
extremely common even amongst convicted felons who are highly motivated to
"go legit."

I'll also add that in another life, I had extensive property management
experience, both in the private sector and with HUD programs, and I can tell
you that more often than not, convicted felons have a very difficult time
finding housing if they don't have family or friends able to provide it at
no or reduced cost.  Without debating whether it's a good or bad thing, I
would encourage you to learn more about the difficulty paroled sex offenders
have finding housing (perhaps particularly in metropolitan areas) with
limits about how close they can live to things like schools, parks, day care
facilities, etc.  Personally, I find it extremely troubling when those
LE/PPO are supposed to be monitoring drop out of sight and out of society
into hidden tent cities & the like because they cannot find housing - I want
them where they can be monitored.

Scott also wrote:

I'm not even sure this lady should be working in the first place unless she
really, really wants to.  She has 4 kids to raise so IMO she should be
raising them.  This is why society has things like welfare to help out moms
saddled with kids from deadbeat dads.

I'm cutting you a lot of slack with the above because if I didn't know
better, I'd find that statement highly offensive  J  Personally, I would
never fault with any parent for wanting to improve the economic situation
for themselves and their children through education and gainful legal
employment rather than collecting welfare, which provides for only an
extremely limited existence.  Nor would I ever find fault for any parent
wanting to provide their children with a role model of industriousness
through sacrifice & hard work on the job.  I don't disagree that raising her
children must be a top priority, but I'm not at all convinced that
collecting welfare is an appropriate trade-off for the kinds of economic
opportunities she will most likely now be denied because she's a convicted
felon.

Saundra