[Vision2020] It's Time for an Honest Conversation About Marijuana . . .

Scott Dredge scooterd408 at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 13 14:49:50 PDT 2013

<my
 guess is they will provide cold comfort when she can’t get a job, or
housing, or loans to further her education, etc. because she’s now a
convicted felon.>
IMO, neither she nor anyone else should use the
old 'felony on the record' as an excuse for not being able to be a
productive member of society.  It's just not true.  Several members of
my family have felony convictions and have had no issue finding jobs,
housing, and even loans.  The only aberration is that I have one nephew
 who is presently on 2 years unsupervised probation for petty theft (not a felony).  He has
trouble keeping jobs because he does things like steal gas from the
company he's working at or in some cases he flat out doesn't show up to
work.  He's the only person I've ever heard of who's been fired from
McDonald's (no joke).

I'm not even sure this lady should be working in
the first place unless she really, really wants to.  She has 4 kids to raise so IMO she should be raising them.
This is why society has things like welfare to help out moms saddled
with kids from deadbeat dads.

I'm not even sure that we're in that much disagreement on sentencing being too harsh on this one.  Since she apparently plead guilty to whatever she was being charged with (drug dealing I'm guessing, but I can't actually find what she was specifically charged with), then she seems to have been socked with whatever bad luck sentencing went her way be it by mandatory sentencing terms or by some hangin' judge.  She was also sentenced to a couple of years for possession and that ran concurrently.  I think the $31 piece of the story is a distraction.  The law, if I could find any fricken details on this case, probably does not mention dollar amount whatsoever and just deals with the sheer volume and/or weight of the illegal substance.  I'm guessing the same charge / sentencing would apply whether her price tag on the bag was $3 or $3000.  Most everyone just latches onto to $31 figure which has no (or very minor) relevance to the particular law being broken and subsequent sentence handed down for breaking that law.

In terms of the death penalty, I used to be a staunch supporter of it but after seeing so many cases where it has been misapplied due to over zealous prosecutors, I've done a 180 on it an now oppose it.  Unlike Doug Wilson and his flock, I reserve the right to change my opinion in light of new information.

-Scott