[Vision2020] [corrected] It's Time for an Honest Conversation About Marijuana . . .

Scott Dredge scooterd408 at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 13 23:43:46 PDT 2013

If the goal is to save money, then I agree that having fewer folks in prison would save more.  But then there is cost of having people roaming free stealing property and / or causing property damage that would also need to be factored in to the equation.  In a perfect state, the bare minimum number of folks would be incarcerated and upon release would be rehabilitated.  Fat chance of that happening.

I don't have any evidence that privatizing prisons saves tax dollars.  Tom correctly stated that I still don't get his point.  This was mainly because he was unable to clearly articulate it.

Saundra, as for your statement of '[prison privatization being]
 just a way to transfer taxpayer dollars to the private sector where
there’s less accountability and higher per inmate costs – which
translates to corporate profits – and lower wages & decreased
quality of corrections professionals.', this wouldn't surprise me one bit especially with Republicans in charge.

-Scott

CC: scooterd408 at hotmail.com; thansen at moscow.com; vision2020 at moscow.com