[Vision2020] It's Time for an Honest Conversation About Marijuana . . .

Saundra Lund v2020 at ssl1.fastmail.fm
Tue Aug 13 11:44:25 PDT 2013

Ignore the question much???

From: Wayne Price [mailto:bear at moscow.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2013 11:47 AM
To: Saundra Lund
Cc: 'Moscow Vision 2020'
Subject: Re: [Vision2020] It's Time for an Honest Conversation About
Marijuana . . .

Don't assume anything.....

On Aug 13, 2013, at 11:41 AM, Saundra Lund wrote:

Patricia Spottedcrow was originally sentenced to 12 years.  Do you think
that an appropriate sentence for a first-time criminal offense of selling
$30 of weed to a police informant?  If so, I guess you're still trapped in
the whole Reefer Madness propaganda.

For those who aren't aware of the insanity of her sentence, I encourage you
to check out the following from the Tulsa World:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/article.aspx/Patricia_Spottedcrow_paroled_early_in
_12_year_sentence/20121130_11_a1_cutlin8232

For those unfamiliar with it, no one would accuse the Tulsa World of having
a liberal bias!

Here's a snip:

Her 12-year prison sentence for selling $31 worth of marijuana garnered
widespread national attention after her story was featured in a 2011 Tulsa
World series on women in prison.

Spottedcrow originally faced a 12-year prison sentence out of Kingfisher
County for selling a "dime bag" of marijuana to a police informant. She
entered prison in December 2010 after spending a few months waiting in the
county jail.

After her story was published in the World, grassroots supporters lobbied
officials to reconsider Spottedcrow's punishment. Advocates expressed
concern for possible racial bias, disparate sentences for drug crimes,
Oklahoma's No. 1 female incarceration rate per capita and the effects on
children growing up with incarcerated parents.

And, for those who don't immediately and insanely start frothing at the
mouth at the mere mention of the ACLU, you can read:

http://www.aclu.org/blog/criminal-law-reform/bittersweet-victory-patricia-sp
ottedcrows-release

Spottedcrow's early release offers a happy, if complicated, ending. While
she will return to her community and her children, her felony conviction
will affect her ability to find work, receive public benefits, secure
housing, and  her eligibility for student loans should she return to school.
Spottedcrow and her children will suffer a distinct socioeconomic
disadvantage - not because she sold $31 worth of marijuana, but because of
Oklahoma's inhumane sentencing laws. Her story should shock our collective
conscience. What is most astonishing is not what happened to this one woman,
but the fact that this narrative has repeated and will continue to repeat
itself. Unless our nation's  drug laws change, there will be other Patricia
Spottedcrows, other lives torn apart and other children needlessly left
parentless. The heartbreaking details will vary, but without sentencing
reform, the agonizing impact will persist.

As one might be able to tell, I'm not a Johnny-Come-Lately to insane
sentencing of women especially for non-violent drug offenses as Wayne Price
appears to be to be.

Saundra

Moscow, ID

Until we have the courage to recognize cruelty for what it is -- whether its
victim is human or animal -- we cannot expect things to be much better in
this world.

~ Rachel Carson