[Vision2020] Fw:Saturday Aug 10: Rare Plants near Heller's Bar, Hells Canyon

lfalen lfalen at turbonet.com
Sat Aug 3 17:54:44 PDT 2013

-----Original Message-----
Subject: Saturday Aug 10: Rare Plants near Heller's Bar, Hells Canyon
From: "Whitepine chapter INPS"
To: "White Pine Chapter contacts"
Date: 08/03/13 04:38:42

Exciting trip coming up!  Invitation forwarded by Sonja Lewis, from Dave Skinner:

From: "Elizabeth F. Martin" <efmartin at lcsc.edu>
To: "Dave Skinner" <abbie48 at roadrunner.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 12:47:11 -0700
Subject: interested in searching for rare plants?

Hi Dave,
I'm organizing a field trip to search for some rare plant species just across the border in Oregon on August 10th.  Can you forward the following email to the Palouse Prairie Foundation and any other interested people you know?
Thanks,
Liz

Hello all,

The Native Plant Society of Oregon has a Citizen's Rare Plant Watch program which aims to increase understanding of the status and extent of rare species in Oregon, while involving volunteers in active conservation.  They organize volunteers to search for and survey historical rare species occurrences that are in need of updated information, and provide land managers and state conservation programs that information. It is a great opportunity for all those involved - land managers get updated occurrence information, and botanical enthusiasts get to participate in a treasure hunt of sorts, and learn more about rare species in their area.

There are several late-flowering, rare plants (Pyrrocoma scaberula, Silene spaldingii, Calochortus macrocarpus var. maculosus, and Erigeron davisii) just across the border from Asotin County that the Wallowa-Whitman National Forest is interested in searching for and mapping.

I am organized a volunteer day on Saturday, August 10th to explore areas in Hell's Canyon National Recreation Area just south of Heller Bar.  The areas of interest are off of Horse Creek Rd.  The habitat for these species is open grassland so be prepared for lots of sunshine!  We will leave the Moscow area at 7:30 am, meet anyone interested in joining in the Lewiston/Clarkston area, and leave from Lewiston/Clarkston at 8:30 am.

If you are interested in attending or would like to know more information, please contact me at efmartin at lcsc.edu<mailto:efmartin at lcsc.edu>.  Logistical details will be sent out as we get closer to the date.

Thanks,
Liz Martin

Liz Martin, PhD
Assistant Professor of Biology
Division of Natural Sciences and Mathematics
Lewis-Clark State College
500 8th Avenue
Lewiston, ID 83501
(208) 792-2412