[Vision2020] UI alcohol policy

Rosemary Huskey donaldrose at cpcinternet.com
Tue Apr 16 16:53:23 PDT 2013

For several months I have tried to find out more about the University of
Idaho’s handling of alcohol offenses on campus.  Stonewalled is a gracious
description for the response of UI Staff Counsel, Guilherme Costa, to my
public records requests. To be absolutely fair, it is possible that he was
just following orders. Perhaps he would have provided some information if I
had been willing to part with the amount of money he quoted to find the
information I requested - $1,500 initially and after I modified my request
for information (downloading a simple data base) $500.00.  I passed up both
opportunities. Last week, I received the following note from Matthew Kurtz,
UI Greek advisor.  It was my first communication from him.  A note I sent to
UI Staff Counsel, Guilherme Costa, found its way to him.  I read it and my
head exploded, (as it is occasionally wont to do ). I responded to him,
President Nellis, Bruce Pitman, and the State Board of Education.  None of
them will give a hoot but something needs to be said.  From the silence of
the community following the death of Joseph Widerrick to the inability of
the University of Idaho to take meaningful action we should all be ashamed.
And yes, I know that no one was forcing Joseph Widerrick to drink so
recklessly, but that is not my point.  The University failed him by
allowing, indeed in my opinion encouraging, a dangerous attractive nuisance,
the fraternity system, to thrive  unchecked, on campus.  The community
failed him by their silence and by inaction when he desperately needed help
as he wandered in a confused state on the coldest night of the year.  That
young man could have been any of my sons during their goofy years, or my
brothers when they were in fraternities.  I am betting they could have been
your sons, daughters, sisters or brothers as well. Eighteen year old kids
just do stupid things sometimes.  We must speak up even when we are ignored
or treated as bitchy pests.  What happened to Joseph Widerrick was wrong on
so many levels and cannot be ignored.

Rose Huskey

*****

Good Morning Matthew Kurtz

Thank you for your prompt response to my recent note.  As you are aware I
have profound concerns about the Greek system at the University of Idaho.
The number of alcohol related injuries, near fatalities, and fatalities as a
consequence of the unsupervised grouping of feral adolescent males is a
recipe for continual damage to the wellbeing of students and the reputation
of the University of Idaho.   Never has that tired old cliché ‘lay down with
dogs come up with fleas’ been more relevant – and in the minds of many
people, including alumni like me (undergraduate and graduate degrees) - been
more aptly applied to describe the relationship between UI administration
and fraternity members.  The University is correctly perceived, in my
opinion, as weak and obsequious toward fraternity members’ unabashed
criminal behavior.  This curiously lop sided relationship is best described
in your own words, “As for sanctions levied by the University against the
fraternity, there are no policies currently in place where we would have the
ability to sanction the chapter.” Help me to understand, Matthew Kurtz, what
kind of mindset defends the notion that a privately owned home is permitted
to be a public nuisance despite decades of underage drinking, drug use,
sexual assaults, injury and alcohol related fatalities?

I read the list of alcohol educational programs that have recently been
conducted at the University of Idaho. The time, energy, and money poured
into these efforts  is clearly wasted.  The SAE house was supposed to be
dry.  According to statements provided to Moscow Police Department, they
were on probation for previous alcohol offenses.  (Apparently the probation
came from their national organization.  Who do you suppose monitors that
requirement?  Do you think for a nanosecond that they self-report
infractions?)  The probation is meaningless.  Drinking and “family nights”
- an extremely offensive term when used to describe alcohol related event
with sororities  - were mentioned in some of the police statements.  So were
the terms “just social drinking” and “casual drinking” as routine
occurrences.

You bring fresh meaning to the word chutzpah, Matthew Kurtz.  You claim –
apparently in connection to alcohol education efforts - that “Though this
method has shown a reduction in risky behavior with our Greeks there is
still work to be done.” Indeed, your office has work to be done starting
with not tolerating frat parties that lead to a young man freezing to death
under a bridge on the coldest night of the year.  It is a mercy that his
companion, Joe Stellers, didn’t freeze to death as well.  He was so
inebriated that when he left the SAE house that night he wandered over
fields two miles south of Moscow before finally turning back toward Moscow
and making it to his dorm.  In your role as Greek Advisor, do you ever drop
by fraternity houses uninvited and unexpectedly on a Friday or Saturday
night to observe firsthand what those self-entitled little gits are up to?
What do you mean by the phrase “our Greeks”? Who is your allegiance to, the
University of Idaho, the citizens of Idaho who provide you with a salary and
benefits, or the boys who are causing so many problems and so much pain?

The alcohol programs instituted at the University of Idaho and their
look-a-like clones have been studied extensively.  Research demonstrates
that they are what we used to call “busy work” offering the appearance of
learning/teaching but generally pointless in effect. The following journal
articles may provide you with additional background on the topic.  As a
professional you must be aware that

peer reviewed journal articles on the topic of substance abuse uniformly
stress that members of Greek houses have a much higher rate of alcohol abuse
than other students. Young men, specifically, those who pledge Greek houses
generally bring with them to college a long history of alcohol and drug
abuse.  They seek the Greek living experience to enjoy the convenience of
easy access to alcohol, and encouragement of all that it entails

http://education.stateuniversity.com/pages/1923/Drug-Alcohol-Abuse.html.

“Findings:
Active members of fraternities and sororities had higher levels of heavy
episodic drinking, annual marijuana use and current cigarette smoking than
non-members at all three waves. Although members of fraternities reported
higher levels than non-members of annual illicit drug use other than
marijuana, no such differences existed between sorority members and
non-members. Heavy episodic drinking and annual marijuana use increased
significantly with age among members of fraternities or sororities relative
to non-members, but there were no such differential changes for current
cigarette use or annual illicit drug use other than marijuana.
Conclusions:
The present study provides strong evidence that higher rates of substance
use among US college students who join fraternities and sororities predate
their college attendance, and that membership in a fraternity or sorority is
associated with considerably greater than average increases in heavy
episodic drinking and annual marijuana use during college. These findings
have important implications for prevention and intervention efforts aimed
toward college students, especially members of fraternities and sororities.”

 <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15784066> Selection and socialization
effects of fraternities and sororities on US college student substance use:
a multi-cohort national longitudinal study.
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=McCabe%20SE%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=tru
e&cauthor_uid=15784066> McCabe SE,
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=Schulenberg%20JE%5BAuthor%5D&cautho
r=true&cauthor_uid=15784066> Schulenberg JE,
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=Johnston%20LD%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=t
rue&cauthor_uid=15784066> Johnston LD,
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=O%27Malley%20PM%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor
=true&cauthor_uid=15784066> O'Malley PM,
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=Bachman%20JG%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=tr
ue&cauthor_uid=15784066> Bachman JG,
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=Kloska%20DD%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=tru
e&cauthor_uid=15784066> Kloska DD.

The following abstract – the entire article is well worth reading -
emphasizes the same finding. The bibliography appears to be extensive and
valuable.

“Arguably, the Greek, or fraternity-sorority, system is the best environment
on campus in which to examine the role of social influence processes on
alcohol use and problems. Members of Greek organizations consistently
demonstrate higher levels of alcohol use and problems than nonmembers (Lo
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2726649/#R37> & Globetti, 1995;
Sher, Bartholow,  <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2726649/#R55>
& Nanda, 2001). Specifically, fraternity and sorority members and leaders
exhibit high levels of use and approval of use (Cashin, Presley,
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2726649/#R18> & Meilman, 1998).
In fact, particular houses often have reputations based on their members’
alcohol consumption (Larimer, Irvine, Kilmer,
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2726649/#R35> & Marlatt, 1997).
In a review of 2 decades of research on fraternity drinking, Borsari and
Carey (1999) <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2726649/#R13>
identified five factors contributing to the heavy drinking consistently
observed in fraternities: (a) a continuity of heavy alcohol use from high
school to college; (b) self-selection into heavy drinking environments; (c)
the central role that alcohol plays in fraternity socialization; (d)
misperceptions of drinking norms; and (e) the enabling environment of the
fraternity house. Thus, an individual’s decision to join the Greek system
and the subsequent socialization that may occur in this environment provide
an ideal context in which to study the influences of selection,
socialization, and active and passive social influences on college student
drinking.”

“In a review of 2 decades of research on fraternity drinking, Borsari and
Carey (1999) <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2726649/#R13>
identified five factors contributing to the heavy drinking consistently
observed in fraternities: (a) a continuity of heavy alcohol use from high
school to college; (b) self-selection into heavy drinking environments; (c)
the central role that alcohol plays in fraternity socialization; (d)
misperceptions of drinking norms; and (e) the enabling environment of the
fraternity house. Thus, an individual’s decision to join the Greek system
and the subsequent socialization that may occur in this environment provide
an ideal context in which to study the influences of selection,
socialization, and active and passive social influences on college student
drinking.”

And finally:

 <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2726649/#R37> Fraternity and
Sorority Involvement, Social Influences, and Alcohol Use Among College
Students

A Prospective Examination.  Christy Capone
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Capone%20C%5Bauth%5D> , Mark D.
Wood <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Wood%20MD%5Bauth%5D> , Brian
Borsari <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Borsari%20B%5Bauth%5D> ,
and Robert D. Laird
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Laird%20RD%5Bauth%5D>

Psychol Addict Behav. Author manuscript; available in PMC 2009 August 13.

Published in final edited form as:

Psychol Addict Behav. 2007 September; 21(3): 316
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/eutils/elink.fcgi?dbfrom=pubmed&retmode=
ref&cmd=prlinks&id=17874882> –327.

“Abstract:

This study used latent growth curve modeling to investigate whether the
effects of gender and Greek involvement on alcohol use and problems over the
first 2 years of college are best characterized by selection, socialization,
or reciprocal influence processes. Three social influences (alcohol offers,
social modeling, and perceived norms) were examined as potential mediators
of these effects. Undergraduate participants (N = 388) completed self-report
measures prior to enrollment and in the spring of their freshmen and
sophomore years. Male gender and involvement in the Greek system were
associated with greater alcohol use and problems prior to college. Both
gender and Greek involvement significantly predicted increases in alcohol
use and problems over the first 2 years of college. Cross-domain analyses
provided strong support for a mediational role of each of the social
influence constructs on alcohol use and problems prior to matriculation, and
prematriculation social modeling and alcohol offers mediated relations
between Greek involvement and changes in alcohol use over time. Findings
suggest that students, particularly men, who affiliate with Greek
organizations constitute an at-risk group prior to entering college,
suggesting the need for selected interventions with this population, which
should take place before or during the pledging process. (PsycINFO Database
Record (c) 2012 APA, all rights reserved)”

Three members of the SAE house were cited for providing alcohol to minors
following the investigation into the death of Joseph Weiderrick. They are:
Dakota (Jake) Vegwert, Michael Bright, and Luke J. Torretta .  Luke has a
history of this kind of alleged behavior
<https://www.idcourts.us/repository/caseHistory.do?roaDetail=yes&schema=LATA
H&partySequence=91839&county=Latah&displayName=Torretta%2C+Luke+J> .  He was
cited in March 2010 in a similar alcohol related offense.  After months of
haggling and delays the prosecutor dropped the charge.  It was a misdemeanor
offense and I suppose Bill Thompson (or his representative) felt he had
wasted enough time on it.  Do you appreciate the irony of the SAE webpage
that shows Luke Torretta as a house office and the Risk Manager?

Have these miscreants, aside from the pledge Dakota Vegwert, been asked to
leave the SAE house?  Why in the world would you trust the current house
officers to take control of the situation when they are so deficient in
leadership, they are part of the problem?  Do your support current SAE
efforts to actively recruit new members?  I could hardly believe my eyes
when I saw that the SAE house was rushing incoming students
<http://www.uiweb.uidaho.edu/student_orgs/sae/>  just last month.  These
addled brain little jackasses chose the fraternity life so that they could
party what few brains they have right out of their pointy little skulls.
And, the truth is that you can’t stop them, certainly Bruce Pitman (who,
incidentally has failed to do so for thirty plus years), can’t and neither
can the Idaho Board of Education.  As it stands now, I am certain that they
laugh at the bunch of you, and why shouldn’t they?

It is my very strong sense that a single action could stop the whole mess.
Let’s call it the Chico State
<http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/11/cal-state-chico-greek-alcohol
-death.html>  solution.  It would take courage and character.  President
Nellis, could make a decision to leave a meaningful and lifesaving legacy on
this campus if he would suspend all fraternity and sorority recognition at
the University of Idaho until each house individually presents to the
incoming president and members of the State Board of Education a plan that
calls for closely monitored supervision of each house, including unannounced
inspections for alcohol and other drugs and a requirement for two live-in
male adults (or house mothers in the case of sororities) to serve as round
the clock monitors. The supervisors (aka wardens) can not be former
fraternity members. Naturally, individual houses must pay the costs
associated with the supervision.  You know, as does every sentient adult,
the cheesy sentimentality of “brotherhood” would fall quickly by the wayside
if actual elements of maturity and honor were involved and expected from the
membership.  At this juncture and historically, what they have proven over
and over again is this: they are incapable of self-regulation.  One of the
more disgusting elements I found when reading the police investigatory
statements was the justification from an SAE member for purchasing alcohol
underage members because  he “was just trying to help them out like his
brothers did for him when he was underage.”

Until the University of Idaho becomes serious, and by that I mean punitively
serious, about alcohol and other criminal activities in Greek houses,
citizens of the state of Idaho will be plagued by the consequences of your
seemingly unending tolerance.  At what point does injury, death, and the
concurrent liability to the State of Idaho begin to rattle your conscience
and bring about change?  How long will you, senior administrators on campus,
and your aging, saggy-bellied, frat rat allies across the nation continue to
uncritically celebrate and endorse the fraternity way of life on the
University of Idaho campus?

Sincerely,

Rosemary Huskey

PS  I have a suggestion for you, one you might want to share with UI
attorney, Guilherme Costa.  It is always a mistake to use an individual’s
first name if you have not been invited to do so.  It establishes an
unprofessional, patronizing tone to the exchange that is both presumptive
and unwelcome.