[Vision2020] Who are you voting for and why?

Scott Dredge scooterd408 at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 28 00:31:48 PDT 2012

I think most of the Court's cases nowadays surround very narrow rulings that affect only a very few people...things along the lines of extraordinary circumstances surrounding a pending execution perhaps that might affect some obscure law.  I personally prefer an evenly divided Court with 4 liberals, 4 conservatives, and 1 swing or however else the the numbers can be broken down in a balanced way.  I don't want to see the court stacked to one side or the other.  When was the last time a supreme nominated by a Democratic president turned out to be conservative?  I can't name one.  Yet look at all the Republican nominations that drifted to the center and in some cases the hard left: Harry Blackmun (Nixon), John Paul Stevens (Ford), O'Connor (Reagan), Kennedy (Reagan), Souter (George H W Bush), Roberts (George W Bush).

Republicans try with all their might using code words like 'state's rights' and 'strict constructionist' to try and gauge whether or not their nominations will adhere to their political ideals, but more often than not, it doesn't work and they're flabbergasted when things like Obamacare isn't struck down.

Presently I'm not in fear of Republican appointees to the Court.

-Scott