[Vision2020] Say What!?!

Scott Dredge scooterd408 at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 25 18:57:12 PDT 2012

It's your scenario Tom, you tell me what damage / injury you caused in your bar scene.  If none, then it's 'no harm, no foul' and really nothing comes into play regarding the first amendment...it's simply you mouthing off.

If property damage and /or injury to others occur as result of and associated brawl, then I'm saying that if your defense is 'the first amendment legally permits me to go into the Backdoor (a bar in south central Los Angeles) and say, "Fu*k you, nig*r!', then you'll be found guilty of any number of charges that will result in civil and/or criminal penalties.  This all would be relatively easy to prove and you're offering essentially no defense so it would probably be in your best interest to just concede 'guilty as charged'.

The reason being is that the first amendment permits you no such 'Constitutionally guaranteed right' which is why I wrote 'it's nonsensical to think you can try and high behind First Amendment rights for damage / injury that result from your direct
provocation.' In short, you're sadly mistaken if you think otherwise.

As for 'Could an insightful video ridiculing a religion be just as guilty of "direct provocation"?', the answer is maybe.  But a litigator would need to be able to convincingly prove cause & effect.  That's why the your bar scene versus the youtube video is a poor comparison.