[Vision2020] Boise School Board Flunks Luna Laws

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Sep 25 18:31:40 PDT 2012

Courtesy of the Boise Weekly at:

http://www.boiseweekly.com/gyrobase/blogs/Post?id=CityDesk&year=2012&month=09&day=25&basename=boise-school-board-flunks-luna-laws&mode=print

-------------------------------------
Boise School Board Flunks Luna Laws
Calling the Students Come First reforms "a power grab" and "interference in local control," the Boise School Board met in special session Tuesday afternoon to turn their thumbs down on the three controversial propositions, commonly known as the "Luna Laws."

"I'm going to call them what they are: the Luna Laws," said Board Member Rory Jones. "And not the name he gave them," "he" referring to Idaho Superintendent of Public Instruction Tom Luna. "These laws represent a huge threat to the quality of education in Boise schools and schools throughout Idaho."

Jones' motion, which was backed by a 6-0 vote, encourages Election Day voters to reject the Students Come First package, which strips collective bargaining with the teachers' union, requires online learning, and a new pay-for-performance system for educators.

"This isn't pay-for-performance," said Board Member Janet Orndorff. "It's a salary distribution system. Through this system, even an ineffective teacher could get a bonus and the teacher of the year could get no bonus if he or she isn't at a so-called qualified school."

Dr. Troy Rohn, another board member, is also an educator at Boise State.

"I have 10 years experience with online learning and I can tell you that it isn't rewarding for me or students," said Rohn. "There's no data to support that online learning enhances writing, reading or analytical skills."

The three propositions will appear on ballots statewide on Tuesday, Nov. 6.

Seeya at the polls, Moscow, because . . .

"Moscow Cares"
http://www.MoscowCares.com

"We're a town of about 23,000 with 10,000 college students.  The college students are not very active in local elections (thank goodness!)."

- Dale Courtney (March 28, 2007)