[Vision2020] High School Softball Team Defines Sportsmanship

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sat Sep 22 05:43:41 PDT 2012

Courtesy of WJBF (Augusta, Georgia) at:

(video)
http://www2.wjbf.com/sports/2012/sep/21/glascock-county-high-school-lady-panthers-softball-ar-4598788/

-------------------------------------
Glascock County High School Lady Panthers Softball Team Defines Sportsmanship

The Glascock County High School Lady Panthers Varsity Softball Team is sitting down together for the first time to talk about a game from earlier this month. It was game, according to the scoreboard, they did not win. However, one could argue that what they did on the field meant much more than the final score.

One of the players from the opposing team was running the bases after hitting a grand slam home run...when she fell, just past first base.

“She touched the base and she tried to stand up, but she just started crying and screaming,” says Kennedy Sam, of the Lady Panthers.

The rules for high school softball say that in order for the run to count, the batter has to cross home plate. So, after falling the Telfair County High School player began to crawl.

“I was shocked that she was attempting to crawl around the bases in order to get that run," says Sam.

But... the Telfair County player did not have to crawl very far... it only took a matter of seconds for the entire Glascock County team to come to the aid of a girl they didn’t know, and a team they were trying to beat.

“They were hollering and saying that her own team couldn’t touch her, and I looked at Morgan and I said, 'I think we can touch her',” says Victoria Griswell, of the Lady Panthers.

And, that’s what the Glascock County team did...

“She kept trying to crawl and we calmed her down, and we were like, 'don’t crawl, it’s okay, we’re going to carry you,” says Aleah Hawkins, of the Lady Panthers.

The entire Glascock County team, even from the other side of the field, came in, picked up the Telfair County player, and carried her, base-by-base, and then to home plate, which put 4 points on the board for the other team.

Brett Buffington, reporting: "Every player on the Glascock County team agrees that when the girl hit the ball over the fence, she earned the run, and they were just helping her get what she deserved...a grand slam, even though she couldn’t do it on her own..."

After the game, the girl who was carried had her mom come over and ask the Glascock County team to sign a ball for her. The team says that was very special end to an emotional game.

Glascock County Lady Panthers softball players assist an injured opponent round the bases after injuring herself after hitting home run.

Seeya round town, Moscow, because . . .

"Moscow Cares"
http://www.MoscowCares.com

"We're a town of about 23,000 with 10,000 college students.  The college students are not very active in local elections (thank goodness!)."

- Dale Courtney (March 28, 2007)