[Vision2020] technology questions

Robert Dickow dickow at turbonet.com
Fri Sep 14 12:58:57 PDT 2012

Hi Dianna,

I have played with the Samsung Galaxy 7 tablet I got for my wife, and can
write apps for it now. It's cute as a button and quite useful. I can see
getting one for myself some time. Get whatever tablet you like. The Android
ones are a bit less expensive than the Apple ones, the the Apple stuff is
excellent too.

I don't use a smart phone. I do have a dumb phone with Credo. Credo is not
the cheapest service, but it has been working quite well for us for over a
year. It does give the satisfaction of knowing that Credo is a pretty
'green' company. I'm happy with Credo service and general performance. The
operating system if fine.

For Skype, get a fast internet connection, a fast and reliable wireless or
cable, and a very fast computer. Skype can be and has been quite a
disappointment for us. It frequently cuts our conversations off, or the
video won't work, or the sound is choppy, and other problems. It is,
however, free. And oh.. If you leave your computer on the net 24/7, as I do,
Skype has the potential to take over much of your computer resources when it
turns your system into what it calls a 'super hub.' One day I discovered my
machine was working extremely slowly, only to learn that 40 other
conversations were currently going through TCP/IP ports on my home machine.
Those background services were even hard to stop after I uninstalled Skype.
I had to do some nerdy firewall settings to block the Skype ports. In their
defense, they do tell you about this in their fine print somewhere.

Don't know about rural Nebraska concerning phone and internet services. Have
they heard about electric light bulbs and stuff like that out there yet?

Bob Dickow, troublemaker