[Vision2020] I think you mistranslated : Open letters to Doug Wilson

Art Deco art.deco.studios at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 09:09:21 PDT 2012

  Indiana Daily Student - IDSnews.com
 I think you mistranslated : Open letters to Doug Wilson
*By Katie Beasley* | IDS | April 09, 2012

As Bloomington residents, we’re proud to be part of a community known by
many as a “liberal oasis” in a fairly conservative state.

Open-mindedness toward a variety of philosophies and ways of life is the
norm, and respect for diversity is striven for. Contrary to your archaic
line of thinking, our attitudes are not disgraceful or reprehensible.

Rather, they reflect the values of a modern and progressive world in which
the inherent dignity of every human being is respected.

As IU students, we’re proud of the quality, innovative research produced by
our institution. The work of the late Alfred Kinsey and of the Kinsey
Institute for Research in Sex, Gender and Reproduction has shaped and
continues to shape our understanding of human sexual health and behavior —
for the better.

The pursuit of knowledge, free of bigotry and bias, is at the foundation of
every great university, and the field of human sexuality is of clear
importance to humanity as a whole.

Although you would prefer us to restrict our understanding of sexuality and
the human body to those dictated by your own very narrow interpretation of
an ancient religious text, we would prefer you allow us to grow as students
and exercise our freedoms of thought and opinion, unfettered by your
baseless and hateful diatribes.

Furthermore, your claim to represent Jesus is presumptuous and outlandish.
As described in the New Testament to which you adhere, Jesus associated
with prostitutes, gamblers, lepers and other social outcasts.

He harshly scolded those who cast judgment upon them and elevated
themselves on pedestals of righteousness. He once said that it is easier
for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to get
into heaven.

So, tell me, Mr. Wilson, where do you, as someone who has made his fortune
touring the country and publishing works about the merits of slavery and
the dirtiness of the GLBT community, fall under the philosophy that Jesus
preached?

Are you someone who is working to create a better world, as Jesus did? Or
are you simply a high priest, smirking haughtily in the corner, satisfied
with your own ill will and condescension?

And before you claim your message is backed by the Old Testament, I must
ask: Do you eat shrimp and pork? Do you handle money on the Sabbath? Do you
eat grapes and drink wine made by Gentiles? Have you ever touched a
football?

Because if you choose to rail against gays and lesbians with such spite and
fervor, you must feel just as passionately about those who break these
restrictions as well.

Please, do us all a favor and reexamine your own contradictory beliefs
before spreading your hate in our community. Consider the implications of
your words. Perhaps even take the time to ask yourself a simple question:
What would Jesus do?

*

­— kabeasle at indiana.edu*

--