[Vision2020] Superstorm Sandy breaks records: 940 Millibars Lowest for Landfall N. of Cape Hatteras

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 13:53:07 PDT 2012

A few weeks ago I was discussing with an acquaintance the potential
increasing frequency or intensity of cyclones with increasing anthropogenic
climate change.  I made the point that not only is intensity if not
frequency likely to increase, due to warmer ocean water fueling these
storms, but warmer oceans at higher latitudes, will promote strong cyclones
in northern areas where previously they were likely to dissipate due to
colder waters.

Hurricane Sandy just demonstrated my prediction!

http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/30/us/sandy-records/
Superstorm Sandy breaks records"When hurricane hunter aircraft measured its
central pressure at 940 millibars -- 27.76 inches -- Monday afternoon, it
was the lowest barometric reading ever recorded for an Atlantic storm to
make landfall north of Cape Hatteras, North Carolina."
Hurricane Sandy was a cute little kitten compared to the monster lion
storms in northern latitudes that will likely occur within the next century
and beyond, if humanity pushes atmospheric CO2 over a doubling above
pre-industrial levels (280 to 560 ppm:
http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/ccgg/trends/ ), with increasing ocean warming
and atmospheric water vapor content, and average global atmospheric
temperatures pushed above 2 C. over pre-industrial (
http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/graphs_v3/Fig.A2.gif ) .

Ponder a large cat. 4 (over 131 mph sustained wind) hurricane aimed at New
York City with a storm surge of 25-30 feet...  A dyke or levee system or
even abandoning coastal areas will be necessary to prevent major
catastrophe.  The following analysis from the EPA way back in 1989 parses
through this need.
http://papers.risingsea.net/federal_reports/rtc_weggel_twometerrise.pdf

However, the response to this threat in the US is summed up in the
following recent 2012 statement from a scientist studying this issue:
Rising Sea Levels Seen as Threat to Coastal U.S.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/14/science/earth/study-rising-sea-levels-a-risk-to-coastal-states.html?_r=0

“Sea level rise is like an invisible tsunami, building force while we do
almost nothing,” said Benjamin H. Strauss, an author, with other
scientists, of two new papers outlining the research. “We have a closing
window of time to prevent the worst by preparing for higher seas.”