[Vision2020] Idaho State Legislator Pay

Sue Hovey suehovey at moscow.com
Tue Oct 23 09:08:51 PDT 2012

It was a sound bite. And of course rehiring decisions really should reflect issues of competence, and they already did before the new laws.  Now if a board chooses not to rehire a teacher all the members have to do is allow the teacher a meeting and state the reason for not rehiring.  There are no guidelines, no due process for teachers, its whatever the board decides is a reason.  In the instance of a rif, the board may Not  use seniority as one criterion.  So if they have two great third grade teachers--one with fifteen years and one with three, and the district is in a severe economic crunch, it makes economic sense to fire the long term teacher, who is making more money.

Merit pay is something else again. And it was funded by taking money from All teachers to raise the pay of some.

And yes, I agree, elections do serve as a form of merit pay. There is an analogy here, too.  Just as merit pay will not necessarily flow to the best teachers, elections don't necessarily select the best legislators, either.

Sent from my iPad Sue Hovey